Sat. Red Devils

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Sat. Red Devils

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:52 pm

I didn't catch any peacock bass, but then I wans't really targeting them. I was moving along close to shore looking for red devils.

I didn't really start fishing till about 3:30 or so. Mostly I was visiting with
other anglers and taking pictures. Most everyone I spoke with caught fish.
Mostly largemouth bass, but a few peacocks. The water temperature was 78 degrees and the water level was way down.

I tried several flys on my Tenkara rod before finding one the RD seemed to like. Clay's "Clean Sweep" fly. My Tenkara system is a 13 foot rod, fly line, and fly. (no reel) The rod is only 3 1/2 ounces and very limber. The RD put up a hard fight, but the 4 # test leader is more than enough to handle them.

Before I knew it the clock read 5:00 PM... time to go. Times Fun When Your Having Flys.

About 6:00, as I was driving home, I got a call from Shane telling me the peacock bass were busting all over the place at Boy Scout Island.

All the Red Devils weighed one pound. That's a little larger than I normally catch.

The big hump on their head must mean they are spawning males.

Sot some strange colors today. They are normally a bright orange or red.

This is the "Clean Sweep" fly.

Beautiful fish, but if you've ever had one in your aquarium, you know that they "don't play well with others".
Last edited by Stan Wright on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

djverve05
master baiter level

Postby djverve05 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:06 am

The Peacocks busted for about 45 minutes along the bank of Boy Scout Island. It made me mad because I couldn't do nothing, but watch from the other side of the lake. Very depressing to watch, but happy to at least see some busting action. Obviously the low level hasn't affected the fish "YET". Looks like a lot of you boaters will be joining me on the banks soon.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:19 am

djverve05 wrote:Looks like a lot of you boaters will be joining me on the banks soon.

Heck yea! Doesn't matter where I fish from, fishing is fishing! 8)

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:13 am

Those are some nice looking RDs there especially that bottom specimen. Can't wait to try out my Tenkara rod on these guys. What's the State record on RDs? Doesn't look too difficult to beat from looking at your catch.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Return to “Fishing Reports”