Tied Bluegill State Record

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Tied Bluegill State Record

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:38 pm

It was an OK day of fishing as I started around noon. Caught a couple of LMB and Tucs around Mikimiki Flats. Moved up to Tuc Bay using my trusty Rapala X-Rap. When I got to theend of the bay just beofre the sunken boat, I got a good hit. I fugured it was the avg. LMB dink. Pulled up a nice bluegill instead! My scales read 7 oz. The State record for a BG is 6 oz. It was 8 1/2" long. Took it to a certified scale and the lightest it weighted was 6.52 oz. Not enough for me to justify submitting it for a record. I don't think it would be an official record even if it were several ounces over because the catch was not witnessed by anyone. It was still cool to pull in a decent BG, especially on a 3" lure!

My Berkley scales

8 1/2" long

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:16 pm

dunno bout the state record rules but i believe the iga rule is four onces to beat or you only tie it. very nice though, glad to see the bluegills doing well!

00BLACKSS
minnow level

Postby 00BLACKSS » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:34 am

Thats awesome Tommy! try to save some of those fish for a couple months!

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:02 am

A witness is nice, but I don't think it's necessary for the state records that The Hawaii Fishing News keeps. Just turn in the paperwork and a picture.

And it's "Jungle Rules", not IGFA rules here in Hawaii. :twisted:

http://www.hawaiifishingnews.com/records.cfm

When we took Rae out that day to "set a new state record", I had a postage scale and weighed every bluegill she caught. She took the heaviest fish to a certified scale at the store for the "official" weight. (she kept that fish in their Koi Pond for over a year)

She caught her record fish on her third cast... over by place where the people are building the new deck in their yard. (big concrete pilers just up the North Fork on the right) Where we've been feeding dog food to the RD. :lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:52 pm

I had a pet Bluegill in an aquarium for a couple years which I caught in Lake Wilson. He was big to begin with but after a year I'm sure he was bigger than the state record though I don't think hooking him in my tank would be ethical. :roll: :lol: :wink:
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:44 pm

What??? You mean my 9" bluegill was a potential Hawaii record? :shock: Dang... :(

So close...keep trying...my 9" bluegill is still swimming out there...as long as the largemouths, peacocks or catfish had not eaten it :lol:
Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear.

I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger than they really are.

Life List: 386 species and counting

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca ... -list.html

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:57 pm

I've caught and released larger BGs than this one, but that was before I knew the State record was only 6 oz.!! I wasn't even trying for a BG using a 3" Rapala jerkbait!

Return to “Fishing Reports”