On the Lake Again

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

On the Lake Again

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:31 pm

Back home from deployment and taking some time for a little fishing... Cory and Shane joined me on the lake.

We found some small bass around Mikimiki Flats, but most were right out in the middle of the lake. You just had to get a lure into the area when they surfaced, chasing the shad.

Back at the ramp another angler ask if we caught any of the peacock bass that were schooling around Boy Scout Island??? (He caught 4 and some largemouth) No, but we did get some bass around there.

We saw some nice size peacock bass hanging around downed trees, but they weren't biting any lures we were offering.

"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:57 pm

Those all seem to be the same generation LMB that everyone is catching lately. The future is looking bright! 8)

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:02 pm

We lost a lot more than we landed, lots of follows and short strikes too.
(could have used some live bait) :twisted:

djverve05
master baiter level

Postby djverve05 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:56 pm

That guy Shane. He needs to be fishing in the Bassmaster's elite series. Hey i'll give you a call this week Stan. Largemouth are great, but I need to catch Tuc's. I've caught enough largemouth in my life to fill Lake Wilson. The largemouth population for Wilson is better though. They are healthy looking fish, and the hatchery has done a good job with raising them.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:00 pm

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
"Come over to the Dark Side, Luke...
use the live bait".
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:43 pm

Went out on the lake today. Numerous LMB were caught. NO Tucs though. Winter just isn't the time for catching Tucs.... water temp was aboput 75* though.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:49 am

Chris folks said they got 10 small bass... blind strikes in the middle of the lake where the bass were trying to school. One small peacock bass along the shore. One 5 pound plus largemouth on a deep-diving crank bait.
Over all a tough fishing day.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:17 pm

Fished the HFFA tournament Sunday and caught 7 or 8 LGM total. Caught the first one around 830 on topwater, didn't catch the next fish until about 130..found a school around mikimiki flats and caught 1 nice one there that was 2lbs14oz..the rest were dinks..lost one that felt nice but I didn't get a look at him but he pulled about the same as the 2lber, all were out off the grass chasing bait in open water. That lasted unitl about 215ish. Then I got onto a nice worm bite from 3 to 4. It was interesting because the first pass at the area only one fish was caught by my partner. Then we fished it back the other direction and I caught four or 5 in about 10 to 15 casts one of those was a 2lber. I've known for awhile that the angle a lure comes from can be a huge factor on getting fish to bite but I've never had such a prominent experience like this. It was pretty cool. The first part of the day was very slow..but the last few hours picked up. It seems like a common theme from the reports I've read that fishing has been better after 12.

Chaess
bass level

Postby Chaess » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:55 am

What kind of lures are working for bass? Colors?

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:19 am

Color didn't seem to make a huge difference but had the best luck with dark colored worms and shad colored crankbaits.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:09 am

Historically, I have good success with a Rapala X-Rap, small size, in Sexy Shad color. A white Roadrunner is a great all-purpose lure also.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:22 pm

right now its about the where and when more so than the lure or color. at least it was last saturday. but shad colors maybe a few gold colors and definately red at times! for soft plastics white and shad for fast moving, blue/black. and my personal fav junebug for slow moving! the little bass will take whatevers near by.hopefully they arent gonna get any smarter hahahaha

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:48 pm

I think it's time to break out my plastic worm pouring materials. I ran out Sunday of my personal "secret" favotire color. Hopefully my melting pots are still working it's been about 5 years since they were used last. Don't think the wife would like my keeping the plastic hot on the stove :(

HFFA-TC
bass level

Postby HFFA-TC » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:44 pm

What Ca_Bass didn't mention was that the 2-14 bass he caught was a big enough kicker for him to win the tournament. Beat Kelton by ten ounces.

In all there were 36 fish caught and 23 of them were under one pound. Eleven out of thirteen anglers had limits so the dinks ruled! Hey, at least everyone got points and that's what counts.

Caught all my fish on worms and the one knocker. Most fish were caught on lipless crankbaits of various brands and worms.
See you on the Lake

MIKE

Return to “Fishing Reports”