04 Feb 07 good day

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Lrry93
King Sushi level

04 Feb 07 good day

Postby Lrry93 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:53 pm

Seeing how it was the coldest night all year the day prior getting in the 50's I thought It came out good. I missed alot of LM bass strikes and had one throw the hook at the boat. The smaller of the two P bass had a hook hanging out of his buthole. Sharp end still in. It slid right out no problem but was really weird!!!!! I caught the large peacock on a rubber worm by the shore texas rigged bouncing on the bottom.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:21 pm

Nice catches! I must admit that that's not the first thing that came to my mind though. Why would you haul those fish around all day just to have a photo opportunity at the end of the day? Why not just take the picture after landing it, and then release it? Less stress to the fish, and it is allowed to return to its spot. If you release it at the ramp, you are causing problems for the already stressed fish. If you kept the fish, well that's breaking the law.
I am not hating on you guys, I am just expressing my concerns. Feel free to reply if you want.
Like I said before though.....Great job catching those nice fish. I am still hoping to catch my first Largemouth since 2001!!!! Even more impressive is that you caught that tuc on a plastic worm! Usually they run away from any worm (except senkos) that I throw at them!
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:52 pm

All fish were released. I forgot my camera today so the wife met us at the ramp to take pics. The LM bass were released back were they were caught about an hour after caught and the p-bass were released at the ramp less then 2 hours later. They were in a fully aerated container at all times just like a live well. They were in perfect health when released back in the lake. There was far less stress on those fish then any tournament fishing done on that lake. I would never risk killing the bass for just a pic. If I didnt have the means to properly store them I would have let them go on the spot.
Im just wondering why people think stress will kill bass? Inproper care, lack of Oxygen, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and toxins are what kills the fish. Not stress. I ship fish and get fish shipped all the time and they live 48 hours plus in little plastic bags. If they were going to die from stress then no fish would ever make it into a aquarium. Even the rarest and most sensitive fish are shipped this way.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:30 pm

Thank you for settling this issue. Good to know that the fish were cared for properly. Maybe I can catch one of those bass you released. Probably not. Look at my name!
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:25 am

Great catch. Nice to see more bass and that they are looking in much better shape than they were 6 months ago. I guess they started feeding on something.

In the bass club. HFFA, we have to have those aerated containers on the boat to hold our fish till we can locate the weighmaster. Any dead fish subtracts points from ones total. The guys try to take very good care of their fish.

Again... great catch and thanks for posting.

Aloha,
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Modest_Man
bass level

Postby Modest_Man » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:45 pm

Lrry93 wrote:All fish were released. I forgot my camera today so the wife met us at the ramp to take pics. The LM bass were released back were they were caught about an hour after caught and the p-bass were released at the ramp less then 2 hours later. They were in a fully aerated container at all times just like a live well. They were in perfect health when released back in the lake. There was far less stress on those fish then any tournament fishing done on that lake. I would never risk killing the bass for just a pic. If I didnt have the means to properly store them I would have let them go on the spot.
Im just wondering why people think stress will kill bass? Inproper care, lack of Oxygen, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and toxins are what kills the fish. Not stress. I ship fish and get fish shipped all the time and they live 48 hours plus in little plastic bags. If they were going to die from stress then no fish would ever make it into a aquarium. Even the rarest and most sensitive fish are shipped this way.

Just wondering why you're shipping and receiving fish. You in the tropical fish trade?

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:50 am

I bet there are some people at Lake Wilson who wish you could "ship out" some of those "trpoical fish" that were dumped in the lake when someone got tired of taking care of their aquariums........

Aloha,
Stan

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:59 am

I do raise a bunch of different types of fish. I raise more rare stuff though. I have to much money in mine to be throwing them in a lake. Besides Wilson is a poster child for not dumping fish. I think they should do a shock program to remove or reduce the cichlids numbers. The bait fish would triple in just a few years.
By the way you do know you guys could make cash off those red devils along with others. Large red devils go for $40 plus in the mainland at pet shops.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:14 pm

Larry,

Chris brought one home and put it in his 50 gallon tank. It killed all the fish he already had in the tank. Or at least the ones he could catch. The funny thing was how he always kept moving all the rocks and gravel around. One day everything would be stacked against one end of the tank... then he would move it all to the other end. Nice thing was, like tha Paku, he would eat almost anything we put into the tank.

I heard because they were so aggressive the big ones didn't make good pets..... but if you want some, wait till the water warms up a little... I have a big live well on our boat. They are really fun on a flyrod.

LOL
Stan

Modest_Man
bass level

Postby Modest_Man » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:56 pm

Lrry93 wrote:I do raise a bunch of different types of fish. I raise more rare stuff though. I have to much money in mine to be throwing them in a lake. Besides Wilson is a poster child for not dumping fish. I think they should do a shock program to remove or reduce the cichlids numbers. The bait fish would triple in just a few years.
By the way you do know you guys could make cash off those red devils along with others. Large red devils go for $40 plus in the mainland at pet shops.

I'm just curious what type of fish you deal with. Any good Central/South American cichlids? 8) If you want you can pm me the info...I'm big into aquarium fish. *shrugs* I've made some money off Green Terrors I can catch out here...I've shipped them to Florida and New Jersey. I have some going out next week to Ohio.

I have a Red Devil in an aquarium that I caught in Lake Wilson last year. He's the star attraction at my place. I'll hopefully ship back a breeding pair when I move in June.

/end my total de-rail of this topic...

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:41 pm

Wow, he is a beauty. I've seen them in red, orange, white, and a mix of colors. Like Koi. With black mixed in too. I've only caught the medium and large size up to one pound. I've never seen any little ones.

When the weather warms up the red devils should get really active again. They are fun to catch on light tackle, I'll have to show you all my "secret spots" ...... we could definatly catch way more than you could use.

Stan

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:50 pm

I mainly deal with rare plecos now to include L46. I have dealt with breeding alot of cichlids in the past such as Apistogrammas, firemouths, Jack Dempseys, convicts, Brichardis, Tropheus, and many others but I am currently looking to set up a North American fish tank in my 150 Gallon. I have downsized from 30 plus tanks to around 6 now. I have been raising fish since I was around 5 or 6.
Nice Devil. When I was out this weekend I seen hundreds of them along shore

Modest_Man
bass level

Postby Modest_Man » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:22 pm

Cool cool. Always nice to run into another fish enthusiast.

I've bred the convicts, Jack Dempseys, and G. brasiliensis. Growing out some different Viejas (including V. argenta and V. fenestratus) and Amphilophus (labatius and lyonsi). I've had to downsize out here...when I move back to the mainland in June I'll be working on getting a fish room set up.

Are you breeding the zebra plecos? Big money in them these days. 8)

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:51 am

Where are you heading to in June?

I do have some breeding activity going on with the zebs but its not consistent. I have over 20 of them. Yes they are very big money!

Modest_Man
bass level

Postby Modest_Man » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:17 am

I always thought if you could mimic a riverine biotope in a enclosed pond out here you could breed them pretty easily. The temperature and habitat is prime for pleco proliferation. Just look at Manoa stream and the reservoir even.

I'm moving to Washington in June.

Good luck.

Return to “Fishing Reports”