Hard Times

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Float Tube 27
master baiter level

Hard Times

Postby Float Tube 27 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:25 pm

Well, I was out on Sunday for about 4 hours and caught one largemouth and one reddevil but no Tucs. It was a hard day for me out there, anyone else have better luck?

I was fishing my usual spots around Boy Scout. Unfortunately, with my float tube I cant go to far. Are the fish more higher up in the lake or I am just fishing the wrong way? I have been using jerkbaits, crankbaits, top water lures and gold flies with a clear bubble and nothing. I'm about ready to throw away my tube and become a bank live bait fisherman, which I really don't want to do.

Any advise out there?

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:47 pm

I didn't get to go this weekend but it seems lately that finding the fish is the biggest hurdle and not so much what you are throwing. The area around BSA Is. and Mikimiki Point are some of the best areas on the lake, IMO.

Pegasus
King Sushi level

Postby Pegasus » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:45 pm

Sunday was a busy day at the lake. All the parking stalls were filled with trailers. I showed up around two and fished till 5. Picked up a few decent size tucs on live bait. Found them close to shore / near the trees. Threw my bubble rig a little, but no chases. They explode on the live bait if you put it in the right spot. Just got to get lucky and find that spot. Kemoo and Kincaids side mostly.

Float Tube 27
master baiter level

Postby Float Tube 27 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:17 pm

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I think im going to get some live bait next time and try that. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Pegasus
King Sushi level

Postby Pegasus » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:02 pm

Yeah, don't give up. Everybody has tough days on the lake and I know it is very frustrating sometimes. I use live tilapia and mosquito fish that I catch and try to keep alive. Somedays, they want one and not the other. Sunday it was small lively tilapia that did the trick. I work them along the edge just like you would a swim bait. Get ready for the action. It is awesome to be in a kayak or tube when it happens. You can pm me for bait catching secrets if you want.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:08 pm

Or you can go here: http://www.hawaiibassfishing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1109

shameless plug.... :oops:

asianmanofmystery
bass level

Postby asianmanofmystery » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:05 pm

I have been having a bad run with the catfish the last 2-3 weeks too. I am pretty confident in my techniques and bait. I know the spots I hit have fish because I have brought them in before (and put them back for the most part) but lately very little action whatsoever. Very frustrating. Mind that I am fishing from shore, but I heard from a guy packing up his boat that yesterday was slow all over for whatever.

Very nice plug for the live bait. Any tips on good catfish spots from shore?

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:13 pm

follow the bait my friend. tube,boat or bank i think my best luck these past couple of weeks has been finding the right bank holding small tilapia on it. some points worked well, later a nearly structurless muddy bank. as long as i saw schools of little tilapia hanging around i seemed to do well with tucs and largemouth.as a matter of fact one such muddy bank id never have stopped at except i saw what i thought was a large tilapia on the surface struggling. turned out it was a rather large tuc, maybe 2lbs or so, with a tilapia wedged in his throat. i tried several times to grab him but hes swim away only to surface out of arms length, never did get him. only got close enough to see the tail sticking out of his mouth. probobly will die poor bugger.anyway spent the next hour or so chasing a good size school of tilapia up and down that bank and got several nice 2-3lb tucs and 2 10 in bass,with a tilapia swimbait and a prop bait.

Float Tube 27
master baiter level

Postby Float Tube 27 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:01 am

Thank you so much!!! You guys got me pumped up to get out there and hunt for some more fish. Thanks for all the tips and advise, I will be out there soon giving them all a try. Persistance is the key! Thanks again for all your responses and help.

Return to “Fishing Reports”