If Only They Could Maintain A High Water Level . . .

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

tucmaster
master baiter level

If Only They Could Maintain A High Water Level . . .

Postby tucmaster » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:22 am

Hey guys. Tucmaster here. Been waiting for months for the lake's water level to rise up to the grass line. This morning, I took a quick spin up to the lake to verify the USGS gauge reading of 78.1 feet. At this height, the water level is in the grass line (good fishing), and the lake looks healthy. Not like the exposed dirt banks during the low water conditions, before the rains came.

If they could only maintain a year-round, "full-pool" water level of around 75 feet, give or take a couple of feet, the fishing would be super. Hope they someday repair the problem with the dam gates. They have an 80.5-foot "first alert" non-emergency threshold water level - maybe a less expensive solution might be to bulldoze the 80-foot height of the spillway down a few feet so that the water level never approaches that threshold?

BTW, if any of you guys out on the lake today take a water temp reading, can you post it on this forum?

Thanks, and Good Fishing. Tucmaster Out.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:45 pm

water temp was ranging from 70-72 degrees, air was 64- 75 and windy and cold.grass lines are under the water all over.its like a whole new lake after months of fishing low water now theres so much cover to fish. but nothing seems to be in it yet.caught one largemouth suspended out in the middle.saw shad just cruzin the surface all around boyscout island, yes boyscout "island!" but no busts no takers although graph showed fish underneath em, couldnt get any to bite.i personally didnt see any spawners but some other guys were lookin for em. tough cold fishing but ill take it anyday!

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:12 pm

Heard that this summer when the water level is down they will fix the flood gates.... that's what I heard any way. Lates from "rumor control".
:lol:

With water level dropping at 6 inches every 24 hours, you won't have much grass to fish in for long. I'd like to see them stop at 75 feet insted of going all the way down to 65 feet.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

tucmaster
master baiter level

Postby tucmaster » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Stan - if the floodgate fix rumor that you heard is true, that would be great! I'm crossin' my fingers on that one . . .

Yep, the lake's dropping a half-foot a day and like you said that doesn't leave much time to fish the grass line before it goes high and dry. It's raining today - hope that raises the water level back up a bit to keep the grass submerged longer.

I agree that they should hold the water level at around 75 feet instead of their preferred 65 feet. Anyone here know any of the folks in charge of operating the floodgates? Maybe if I send 'em a box of Krispy Kremes . . .

Tucmaster out! :D

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:43 pm

So what will that mean to us IF they fix the other two flood gates? WIll they keep the water at a slightly higher level? As I understand it, only the lowest/deepest flood gate is operable.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:43 pm

As I usnderstand it... if all 4 gates were working.... they could keep the water level up near full. Then if a big storm and flooding looked like it was on the way.... the gates could all be opened to drop the lake leves quickly and avoid flooding down stream. ( you know, those people living in the Wailua and Haleiwa flood zone. Every time it floods there, the same people are standing knee deep in their yards pointing at their submerged car and smiling.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:26 pm

I thought one of the reasons Dole tries to keep the water level so low is due to the "Dam" Inspection team's findings that the Dam is not up to par to hold the lake at full level..... I guess even if they kept it just 10' higher would be great.

Return to “Fishing Reports”