Virginia boy after Hawaiian Peacocks

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

tritonv
angler level

Virginia boy after Hawaiian Peacocks

Postby tritonv » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:29 pm

Coming to Hawaii in June 2010 for 25th anniversery and can't stand to not give Lake Wilson a try. I hate the idea of being a tourist,but I guess that is what I would be. My home lake in Virginia is Smith Mountain Lake, part of the Bassmaster Elite Trail. I have to laugh with me being 5000 miles away and reading about your low water problems, seems like we have been fighting that same problem the last few fall seasons. Anyway, seems like you have a good group of guys on this board, so if you see Tritonv on here for the next 8 months you will know I am trying to figure out how to approach this lake without my triton in tow. I fish tournaments all over Virginia and surrounding states but that little lake you have there has got my attention. I expect it will be a once in a lifetime trip for me, so how can I pass on your best kept secret!!! lol Thanks for now
Live by the Jig, Die by the jig

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Welcome

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:18 pm

Howzit Tritonv, congrats on 25th anniversery. Good luck with the fishing and I will see you on the lake.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 am

I 2nd the congrats on the anniversary. Be warned that tucs are nothing like largemouths. Slow baits like jigs and worms won't work well. You need a fast moving minnow imitating bait to be successful with the peacocks here. There are many skilled anglers on this board (like OO7) who will be able to help you.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

tritonv
angler level

Re: Welcome

Postby tritonv » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:56 pm

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN wrote:Howzit Tritonv, congrats on 25th anniversery. Good luck with the fishing and I will see you on the lake.
Thanks for the welcome!!

tritonv
angler level

Postby tritonv » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:02 pm

skunked wrote:I 2nd the congrats on the anniversary. Be warned that tucs are nothing like largemouths. Slow baits like jigs and worms won't work well. You need a fast moving minnow imitating bait to be successful with the peacocks here. There are many skilled anglers on this board (like OO7) who will be able to help you.
Thanks for that info, bad news though for a die hard jig man. Made all my money in tournanments on the jig, but I can go back to what it takes if I have too!! Those little Red Devils sure are interesting little fish!! Do you locals catch and eat those like panfish out there?

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:47 pm

yes jigs arent very intresting for tucs,whole diffrent ballgame. but the ole jig and craw/pig will get largemouth when the goin gets tuff.junes a good time for tucs though water heats up and they get "frisky"

tritonv
angler level

Postby tritonv » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:03 am

BASSTRACKER wrote:yes jigs arent very intresting for tucs,whole diffrent ballgame. but the ole jig and craw/pig will get largemouth when the goin gets tuff.junes a good time for tucs though water heats up and they get "frisky"
Sounds like we picked the right time then! Any ideas on how to get sometime on the water without spending a fortune? I prefer not to bring rods on the flight, since this is not the real reason for being there. lol Any rental boats, or better yet a local that would just show me around the lake, not having to be a guide or expert. I can pay for expenses and a nice tip. Or is the shore fishing really worth mesing with, I do see some good reports on that. I can share some good jig technique, won my triton for me in a bassmaster tournament and many other top finishes in bassmaster and bfl tours. Since I have never caught a Hawaiian largemouth either!!! Hate to be the outsider on your lake, but this is a once in a lifetime trip for this Va. boy. Thanks for your responses.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:34 am

I can't say 100% that I can, but as long as work doesn't interfere, I can take you around on a Stratos 176XT, wimpy by mainland standards, but overkill for our humble lake.

tritonv
angler level

Postby tritonv » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:16 pm

roadwarriorsvt wrote:I can't say 100% that I can, but as long as work doesn't interfere, I can take you around on a Stratos 176XT, wimpy by mainland standards, but overkill for our humble lake.
Wow, that would be great. June is still a long winter away here in Va. so I know how things could change at work and other things as well. I used a Ranger for years that size and now i am usiing my Triton tr186, that would be comfort fishing on lake Wilson for sure!! I plan on keeping up with thses reports till then, so we can see if that works out, sounds like what I am looking for!! I think I am going to Love Hawaii!! lol

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:16 am

Isn't Smith Mountain Lake where KVD won earlier this year? Did you get to see any of the festivities during that tournament?
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

tritonv
angler level

Postby tritonv » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:47 am

skunked wrote:Isn't Smith Mountain Lake where KVD won earlier this year? Did you get to see any of the festivities during that tournament?
I went to the final weigh in it was a sight fishing tournament. They were on the bed everywhere, just had to find the bigger fish to be competitive. I fished the Elite Tournament as a coangler the previous year before they dropped coanglers. I fished with Paul Elias the first day, out fished him, and a rookie the next, I zero'd with him and then Rick Clunn the last day. I lost fish 4 times thru the day with him. He caught 3 and I only caught one keeper. Finished 30th and got 500 of the 700 back. needed one more pound to get it all back. Gave Elias the bait they were hitting and he caught six in front of me, after I had caught four in a row. I fished two of the Norhern Opens bombed in the first one and won my boat in the second one. As a coangler, Actually more weight caught that week then Mike Iaconelli. Have a picture of a bunch of kids getting my autograph in a line, that was weird, and Ike standing next to me with no one getting his. That will never happen again!! lol

Return to “Fishing Reports”