Fly rod first

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

boneless
bass level

Fly rod first

Postby boneless » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:01 am

The lake was doing a pretty good "cruel mistress" routine on me when I went out Tuesday morning. First I couldn't find fish, then all the (few) tucs I hooked got off, then fish finally started busting on the surface when it was time to go. But like any self respecting cruel mistress, she gave up just enough to leave me wanting more. In this case, the lake offered up a new species; my first fly rod carp.

I had beached my kayak and was fishing from the bank to mostly uninterested cruising peacocks when I spotted the "golden bonefish". I dropped my Stan inspired gold-flashabou-on-Ah-hook fly in front of it and watched that vacuum mouth instantly hoover it in. The carp was heavy and strong but it didn't do any of the reel screaming runs I've read they're capable of. Still, it was cool to catch something new.

p.s. another new species sighting: saw my first aquatics division officer at the lake. He checked for my pfd and license which was kinda funny since I had just renewed that morning. It was good to some enforcement though.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Return to “Fishing Reports”