Fishing - it's an education.

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Fishing - it's an education.

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:41 pm

Today was an education... shoots, every time I go fishing I learn something.

The "Glitter-strip-rig" we use in saltwater fishing works great in Lake Wilson.
Plastic casting bubble, swivel, leader and a fly (insted of the glitter strip)

Cast to schooling peacock bass and retrieve. Now last week, the fish liked a fast retrieve... this week they liked it slow. Keep experimenting till you find what they like.

We also cast up onto the muddy shore and s-l-o-w-l-y dragged the fly into the water close to red devils... they liked it.

Lots of small peacock bass along the shoreline (guess we had a successful spawn this year)
The little guys are right against the bank to keep from being eaten by the larger peacock bass. So if you see these little guys... the big guys are not far away.

The 6# test leader was to light and kept tangling around the bubble during the cast. The heavier 12# test leader works better. I also think the weighted fly might have added to the tangling. It works OK with the heavier leader, but next time I'm going to try it with some weightless flys..... ones without the brass bead head.

Wilson Streamers.

I think I'll try adding some plastic beads to the fly for color. I wonder..... if you ran two flys with a dropper loop..... if you could catch.... TWO fish at a time?????
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

fisher dude
King Sushi level

a little tip

Postby fisher dude » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:28 pm

Hey stan got another tip the way you rigged that floater did you notice when you pop it theres that clicking noise when the floater hits the swivel? i found that if you use a smaller snap swivel and put it the opposite way you rigged it with the bigger hole facing the swivel and kind of pull the swivel inside the plastic tube so it gets stuck it doesnt make noise and doesnt tangle and you can use 6lb flurocarbon and it doesnt tangle i usually use a unweighted fly also. Just a little tip i get alot more strikes with it not making that plastic clicking noise. I also get a lot of tucs swallowing the floater and not the fly!

ynototony
bass level

Postby ynototony » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:46 pm

Is that a page out of mike sakamoto's book?? I love that book it taught me a lot about salt water and just fishing in general. Looks like it but anyways I got to try this out next time I go if I dont use live bait :twisted: :twisted: ... I noticed a lot of peacock bass busting up and down the shore.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:00 am

I used one of Mike's pictures as a guide. It's in the 101 Fishing Tips book.
I just changed it up a little to use a fly insted of an ika strip.
Does kind of look like one of his drawings doesn't it. :lol:

ynototony
bass level

Postby ynototony » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:36 am

Ya it does.. I also noticed u make a couple apperances in that book stan lol... Do u think a curly tail grub would work?? I dont have any fancy flys :( Maybe a glitter strip??

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:20 am

I know that glitter strips and plastic twister tails work great. Just hook the twister tail through the nose like you'd do a glitter strip.... don't try to thread it onto the hook unless your using an Eagle Claw bait hook with the little barbs to keep it from slipping back down the shank.

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

floater/fly

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:06 pm

Back in the day, when I was just starting, using the floater/fly techinque was very popular. It was used in many different types of situtations. Now days you do not see that much. I prefer the unweighted flies. Back then we used to carry several different types of floaters and flies. We also used dead medakas. They would spin on the retrieve but the tucs would still bite them. Live minnows worked even better. A couple of years back, I went to Nervous waters and purchased several flies to use for this techinque and lost every fly to the tucs. Using two flies will catch two tucs. Also caught some largemouth bass with that techinque.

Return to “Fishing Reports”