my little boat

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

BadBass
master baiter level

my little boat

Postby BadBass » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:01 pm

hello guys ive been lurking here for a few weeks and decided to join this forum because i am new to fresh water fishing.

i need to know do i need to register my 10 foot boat to fish in lake wilson? i just baught it from craigslist for a good price. And want to go fishing as soon as possible. i been there once with my kayak but didnt catch anything. lol saltwater hook setting! i learned that here.

anyway how long does it take to get those numbers on my boat should i need them? also would i need a ramp decal? where do i get it? i already have a fishing permit for the lake and the entry permit or whatever it is called? what else do i need?

also my name BadBass doesnt mean im bad just bad at catching bass.LOL

thank you
one badbass fisherman

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:31 pm

I'm sure some boating gurus will chime in, but I'm thinking the biggest factor on weather you need to register your boat or not is if it is motorized or not. You could either search DLNR's website or call them to get a faster answer.

BadBass
master baiter level

Postby BadBass » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:43 pm

thanks, i do think there is a size limit as well.
one badbass fisherman

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:54 pm

its a risk to go out without a registered boat but alot of people do,our state demands its taxes on all boats even the small ones.if you decide to go legal its 10$ to register,dont waste the 50$ on the ramp fee unless you use a trailer,then they require it on the trailer tongue. have to go to downtown bishop street the dept of boating and recreation.they have a website with the address. you will need a bill of sale from the previous owner and possibly a vin, if neither exist delare it homemade and they should be ok with that. its a hassle but at least you wont be looking over your shoulder while your out.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:15 pm

I'm pretty sure if you have a motor on the boat, you need the registration numbers.

Their address is Div. of Boating &Oceian Rec.
333 Queen St. #300
phone 808-587-1970

Give them a call and see what they require before you go down. The ladies there are very nice and will help you to get everything registered.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

BadBass
master baiter level

Postby BadBass » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:21 pm

Thanks guys. ya i didnt get a bill of sale from the previous owner ill try to call him. i dont really feel good about telling them its home made. Also i dont have a trailer but will have a motor hopefully soon.

Stan Write, i always use to watch you on lets go fishing. thanks for the info i will try to get it registered tomorrow. I want to play by all the rules so i can have fun on the lake. Hope to see you there.

Aloha
one badbass fisherman

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:29 am

I did see them turning away some boats one day at the ramp because they didn't have numbers on their little homemade motor boats.

I just got a letter from the guy I bought my little boat from. It was a Sears Gamefisher and he had registered it 30 years before. LOL The HA- numbers were almost all worn off with age. He just put the ID number in the letter and said he sold it to me. No trailer involved.

If you remember me from LGF days..... you must have been a very little boy sitting in your dads lap... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aloha,
Stan

BadBass
master baiter level

Postby BadBass » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:52 pm

thanks guys for the advice. I just got my boat registered today and a boat ramp decal. Also picked up my first outboard motor.Its a yamaha 4 stroke 4hp should work for my little boat. Maybe i can get saterday off so i can go fishing!

Aloha again,
Badbass
one badbass fisherman

Bozu
bass level

Safety First

Postby Bozu » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:52 am

Hope you have a good time on the lake with your 10 footer and 4 hp Yamaha.

Remember to always tighten the outboard motormount clamps securely to your transom and double check them once in a while when on the water. Tie a safety line from the motor to a cleat or something else solid on the boat.

Small boat owners tend to not tighten the motormount clamps tight enough because they don't want to damage the soft and/or flimsy transoms that many small boats seem to come with. You'd be surprised at how much torque a 4 hp motor can generate. Add in the vibration from the motor putt putt puttin around the lake all day and things tend to come loose. Hey, let's throttle up and check out my secret spot and oi vey
motor overboard along with the attached hose and gas tank.

No way you say...I say Waay with a capital W. If my aging memory serves me correctly, I know of 4 small outboard engines on Lake Wilson's muddy ol bottom. Two words: Safety Rope

While your at it, add on a folding paddle or oar and a small bucket. Paddle wiill get you back to the ramp. A simple bucket is worth its weight in gold if you get caught in a Wahiawa downpour. That 10 footer will fill up fast.

Have fun be safe.

Bozu

BadBass
master baiter level

Postby BadBass » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:36 pm

Thanks for all the good advise! I will be making some sort of safety line to my outboard before i go out. Also the bucket idea is a good one as well. i dont have paddeles yet but i do have a small electric trolling motor as well but i will get paddles too.

I am open to any advice on actually catching fish as well. I did alot of saltwater shore fishing but never fresh. Any information anyone wants to share will be greatly appreciated.

Also please fill me in on the do's and dont's at the lake so i wont offend anyone.

Thanks guys for the responses i'm taking it all in.

Aloha,
Bad Bass
one badbass fisherman

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:15 pm

oh yes 2 things they will hit you with if ever out on the lake with dlnr enforcement. a noise making device and fire extinguisher.whistle will work fine, fire extinguisher since you got a motor.tips and techniques wise just read back posts on the forum, fun and intresting info.

BadBass
master baiter level

Postby BadBass » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:26 pm

Thank you again any other things? just post em

Thank you again,
BadBass
one badbass fisherman

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:18 pm

You can get good fire extinguishers at CostCo.... good price. :D

Get several,
It's a long run out to the boat when your kitchen stove catches on fire. :shock:

I now have several through out the house... (right beside my new stove)
I even replaced my neighbors extinguisher.

NOTE:
Sometimes, to get people to call 911, screaming "FIRE, Call 911" needs to be accompanied by taking them by the arms and giving them a good physical shake. (all the neighbors heard me and reacted just fine.)

:roll: :twisted: :roll:

BadBass
master baiter level

Postby BadBass » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:09 am

Ok got the whistle. the bail bucket, and the fire extinguisher. i also have my life jackets as well. boat registration ramp decal a home made boat trolley out of a hand truck just to launch my little boat. this is the test one if it works than im making one out of lighter material. im going to tie a leash to my motor and test this baby out!

two more questions:

first is do you guys use vhs radios? and if so what is your channel commonly used?

second question, what time does the ramp open and close at lake wilson?
one badbass fisherman

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:34 pm

No, we don't use radios....
We just pull up in the shade, break out a cool beverage, and talk story.
:lol:

They open the gate to the park around 7:00 AM
The care taker comes down to the parking lot around dusk and reminds everyone they told their wives they'd be home before now.
:roll:

Return to “Fishing Reports”