small smallmouth

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Boatless
King Sushi level

small smallmouth

Postby Boatless » Wed May 20, 2009 11:18 am

Another day was spent hiking the upper streams of the north fork. The water was super clear but just trickling in some areas as there hasnt been much rain recently. Some decent sized and depth ponds were around with some Bass and cichlids in it. There were a ton of Jeweled Cichlids though. This time we hooked some pretty big ones too- 7=8"

Overall about 6 smb was caught, 1 about 1#, the rest less than 1 lb and about the same # of cichlids.
[/img]

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Wed May 20, 2009 11:20 am

some areas actually looked like trout streams on the mainland. What do you guys think? Trout could actually survive up there??

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed May 20, 2009 11:40 am

Yep, since the warmer weather, the bass are getting more active up the north fork. Sunday I went thru a dozen minnows! 8) Even saw two Peacocks last week up there.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed May 20, 2009 4:59 pm

Boatless wrote:some areas actually looked like trout streams on the mainland. What do you guys think? Trout could actually survive up there??

I heard that they stocked rainbows and browns up there back in the 50's or 60's. They died out due to the temperature being too high for spawning. I hope some old timer here can confirm this. I am going off memory from clippings I saw at the old Wahiawa Sporting Goods.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Wed May 20, 2009 10:42 pm

yes, i hope someone can confirm this. Don't you think at least a few would have survived? the water was pretty cold up there. Way up there wasnt many cichlids also so survival of trout fry should have been high.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu May 21, 2009 8:38 pm

They use to raise trout in Kahana valley.... I think a storm or flood or something busted up everything... some escaped to live in the stream.

At one time they tried to raise salmon on Kauai.... every thing was going well till they migrated to the ocean and the tropical water temperature killed everything.

The streams in upper Kauai have trout. I've heard it's too warm for them to reproduce... I've also heard some people believe there has been some spawning up there.

I usually catch my trout in Costco Cove.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Return to “Fishing Reports”