Sunday Fishing

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

bassnman
minnow level

Sunday Fishing

Postby bassnman » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:58 pm

This website is great for sharing information so after a year of fishing for peacock bass I finally feel I have some worthy reports to share. My father and I took to the lake this past Sunday as he was visiting from the mainland and I wanted him to catch a peacock bass (or two). I knew from previous trips and reports that the tucs were schooling between the dam and boy scout island so that is where we headed. Since it was windy, the baitfish stayed deep and there was no schooling activity. Still, we trolled right down the middle of the lake (we fished from a small 8 ft pond prowler with a trolling motor) as we made our way to boy scout island. Along the way, my dad caught one that weighed about 2 pounds on a small rapala-type lure. Once we got to our desire areas we tried crankbait, spinnerbaits and live minnows to no avail. We bumped into Bill, who was searching the shallows for early spawners, but the few that he saw were skittish and ignored his flyrod offerings. Around 2 pm I heard a splash near the shoreline and knew a tuc had just busted on a minnow. We proceeded to the area and caught 15 or so on live bait in a two hour period. The average weight was 2 pounds, but the final bite of the day was quite a monster. It hit a small tilapia on 6# test line and ended up pulling our little boat around for a bit before I landed it after a 10 minute fight. It was 22 inches long and I estimated it to be a good 6 pounds. Here is a picture of the big 'un (you can tell its size by comparing it to my hand):

Of course, we practice "catch and release" so another lucky angler can have a shot at him.

Here is pop with a peacock he caught trolling:

Dad also caught a nice largemouth bass mixed in the school of tucs. Surprisingly, it was in good health (unlike the scrappy summertime LMB) and it had no tag.

All in all, the day started slowly, but the action was pretty steady once we located a school. My recommendation is to just keep searching until you find them because it is a lot of fun when you get them going.
Good fishin'!

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:39 am

Wow! That's a nice peacock! :shock:

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:45 pm

WOW! That is a nice fish, by anyone's standards! :D

tucmaster
master baiter level

Postby tucmaster » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:31 pm

Congratulations, bassnman! That last one is a hawg tuc!

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:16 pm

As Iaconelli would say "it's a Giant!", but in your case it's true. Great job with the light line and you are very lucky to have shared the fun with your Dad.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:23 am

Nice catch.... thanks for a super report. Loved the pictures. Glad you and your Dad were able to get out and have a little quality time together.
Thanks for sharing your fun with all of us.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:55 pm

Feast or famine at Lake Wilson. You guys caught some awesome fish, but I went today and this is what I have to show for 2 hours of fishing...
I must say that it did fight pretty hard (as good as LMB, but weaker than Tucs), especially with 4 lb. line and my 5' UL rod. It weighed 4 pounds on my $3 spring scale.

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:33 am

Hey skunked, that is a nice freshwater bonefish! What did you catch him on?

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:25 am

I quickly smashed a piece of bread from my sandwich onto my jig head. I was surprised when he actually bit.

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:28 pm

You know, I'd rather catch a 4lb carp than a 4lb LMB. The LMB gives up easy...carp...they just keep pulling and pulling. :D

Return to “Fishing Reports”