Fishing Improving

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Fishing Improving

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:14 pm

Only after downloading the pictures from my camera that I realized..... all the largemouth bass pictures were taken with his camera. You'll just have to take my word for it that the 5 largemouth were fat and healthy. LOL :lol:

Water level is way down... close to the 70 foot level. (10 feet below the spillway) When we left the lake at noon the water temperature was 75 degrees. That probably explains why the fish were more active than they've been in over a month. The baitfish don't have the grass to hide in any more. There were baitfish in the shallows along the shore, but the peacock bass haven't started patrolling the shorelines that much that I could see.

I think we've been catching more largemouth than peacocks because we were fishing plastic worms and crank baits in the heavy cover. Chris, in the other boat, was using top waters and Bass Assassins in a "walk-the-dog" retrieve.... they caught mostly peacock bass.

Our boat also landed an Oscar. I'd seen them around for several weeks, but they wouldn't bite. This one was caught on a plastic worm. It put up a strong fight.

We were seeing a few Red Devils which is always a good sign. Where there are red devils, the peacock bass are not far away. The water is clearing up nicely. Visibility is 2 or 3 feet.

Chris' boat caught a few schooling peacock bass. Our boat couldn't get them to take any lures we offered. Just a few chases and blowups. I foul hooked a shad.... it was only 1/2 inch long. I'm guessing I need to use way smaller lures. All the schooling was between Boy Scout Island and Kemoo Island. It was going on steady from 8:00 till Noon when we left.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

KuricX
angler level

Postby KuricX » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:47 pm

Hey Stan those are some nice cathes!!! :D Tomorrow my dad and I going to fish the lake for the first time we got our liscences today and I was wondering wheres the best spot to fish from shore? I heard theres a park you can fish from
Fish are Friends! Not Food!

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:12 am

Check out the Wahiawa Freshwater Fishing Park....
See "Driving Directions" on the web site.
I see lots of guys fishing from shore over accross from Schofield Bks. Park just past the Kunia road.. on the Nort Side along that rock wall and walk down.

Another good place is behind Kemoo Farms. park in the lot just north (past) KF. the access is right behind Military Tenting...

Post pictures of your catchl :wink:
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

KuricX
angler level

Postby KuricX » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:43 pm

Hey Stan,
Well today i didnt get any pics but I had a great experience my dad and i fished by the boat launch area and there were stick fish everywhere so I tried dunking and caught one and let it go :D The ducks were scaring all of them away lol and i saw my frst Wild P bass today it was swimming slowly by a big rock by the boat launch but it didnt hit anything and just dissapeared. I really enjoyed today and plan to try agin soon :D
Fish are Friends! Not Food!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:54 pm

Water level is still dropping, almost to pre-flood levels! Caught 4 catfish, one being almost 5 lbs. according to my cheapo Walmart scale. No hits on live bait by LMBs. Oh well,......

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:47 am

Sounds like it's picking up. I guess I gotta get off my butt and wet the line. I got a few new "toys" to try out!!
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:21 pm

WOW That's a nice Oscar, haven't seen a decent Oscar in the lake in years.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Return to “Fishing Reports”