5 Fish, 1 BIG BOY

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Carolina Bassin
angler level

5 Fish, 1 BIG BOY

Postby Carolina Bassin » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:45 pm

Me and my Wife went out on Saturday and I caught 5 Peacocks. All were caught slow rolling a 1/4oz spinnerbait (white, W/Silver Willow Blade) in the grass along the banks. One was caught around the flower gardens and the rest were caught along the bank at Mikimiki Flats. Here I caught my largest Peacock to date (See Pic). He was 24in long and weighted 7.5lbs. It was caught on the same spinnerbait as the others. The color of the Peacock was yellowish due to the muddy water. This peacock also was tagged. Number 3633.

Carolina Bassin

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:00 pm

HOLY CRAP !!! Thats a nice fish! Looks like I'll be headed out on my next day off! :D

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:09 pm

Looks like the fish are happy with the new water level and started feeding again.
The water temperature was 69 degrees,.... no wonder you were "slow" rolling that spinner bait.

I passed the information about the tag on to Annette. She'll get back to us about who tagged it, when and where.

Nice catch.
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

tucmaster
master baiter level

Big Boy

Postby tucmaster » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:02 pm

That's a MONSTER tuc! Congratulations!!!

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:56 am

Awesome Tuc! Congratulations! Is that a Citica? Tackle junkie being curious again.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:37 am

I thought I was the only one that trolled in the lake never seen anyone else trolling in there in 30 years of fishing Lake Wilson. I have never trolled spinner baits in there but have had success with gold Rapala minnows, and gold Rattl' Traps. Congrats on your huge Tuc. My largest Tuc a 7 pounder I caught on a black spinner bait 20 years ago.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:18 am

He wrote "slow rolling", not "trolling". I think that is a technique where you retrieve the bait just fast enough to keep the blades turning. I never thought it would work on tucs because they usually prefer fast moving lures, but I guess it does work, and work really well.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:53 am

Wait, wait, wait, wait, let me get my glasses... aha! I see... rolling, not trolling, so I get to keep my title as only troller on Lake Wilson. :D
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:07 pm

Hay, Carolina Bassin.... just got the information back from Annette on that big 7.5 pound peacock bass you caught... (see "5 FISH, 1 BIG BOY" for picture)

The peacock bass was tagged by Mike Leong on 3 NOV 2007 at Blue Boat Point. The length was 19 inches. It was free and swimming around for 428 days till you caught it on 4 JAN 09 at Mikimiki Flats... looks like it grew 5 inches and traveled .5 miles.

Nice catch.....

Carolina Bassin
angler level

Postby Carolina Bassin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:16 pm

Stan,

Thanks for getting the Tag information, thats pretty cool!! I have caught alot of fish that were tagged and I think I am going to start keeping a log to track the fish (another hobby).

Do you know anyone on Island that makes Fish Replicas from Pics?? It would be nice to get one from this fish.
Carolina Bassin

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:09 pm

Funny you should mention fish mounts.... I just got a bonefish and a peacock bass. They are on display at Nervous Water Fly Shop.
I'll have to get some pictures.....

Return to “Fishing Reports”