Sturgeon video

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Ken
King Sushi level

Sturgeon video

Postby Ken » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:06 am

Thought some of you might be interested in seeing what it is like fighting a sturgeon :lol:

It was filmed from the hookset to the landing of the fish, so the time there is the exact time it too for me to land a 59", 55lb white sturgeon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk9F8H5mjcU

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:20 pm

"Shall I let him run?"
Dude, looked to me you didn't have any choice in the matter. :lol:

Nice catch Ken, congratulations. :D
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:50 pm

:P :roll: :lol:

Yeah, that was a stupid line, eh? :lol: I really didn't know how much the rod and reel can take since they use the same gear for 9-foot+ sturgeons...so the "little" 5-footers are really just a walk in the park :lol: I don't know...maybe the rod can handle a full lock down on the reel...a little like the slide bait rods and those conventionals :roll:

Then again, even if I lock down, I'd probably end up going waterskiing with the fish towing me around the river :lol:

Thanks Stan. You should try it one day instead of taking another Christmas Island trip...well worthed the money. If you do decide to try it, aim for mid- to late-September and on a year (the odd years) that the pink salmon is running. DO PLEASE ask to fish the mouth of the Harrison River for sturgeon. From what the guide told me, the fishing is out of control when the sockeyes and pinks get into the system and the sturgeon follow them to feed on the dead salmon (after they spawn). :wink:

I hope to do a few days of sturgeon fishing during the peak one of these years...and get totally exhausted reeling bigger ones :lol:

LCPointer
master baiter level

Postby LCPointer » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:14 pm

Nice catch Ken!

Those sturgeons will give you a good work out! My personal best was caught on the Columbia River in the Hanford Reach area. It measured 109 inches and 471 pounds. You only need to catch one a day to find out what condition you're in. I quit after the third one.

Return to “Fishing Reports”