Dumb Bass????

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Dumb Bass????

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:37 am

OK think about this....

Large mouth bass tag number 0024 was first tagged and released down by the dam 2 years ago. It was 8 inches...

March 2, we caught it at Morgans Point.... it weightd 1 1/2 pounds and was 16 1/2 inches long.

July 21, We caught it by the Pineapple Field area.... same weight.

During the last tournament, Chris caught the bass at Boy Scout Island.... same weight. He had seen it swimming around all week but waited for the tournament. First he tried a 2 inch white Senko... no go. Then he cast a small pink oio fly on the flyrod and it gulped it. The fish was weighed at Keemo Island that afternoon and relesded.

It is back on the saddle at BSA Island. We got it on Sunday, Aug. 3 and Chris caught it again August 4th.

Catch and Release works.
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:00 pm

No wonder it is not gaining weight...you're exercising it too much :lol: Next time you measure it, it may lose weight :lol:

Goes to show bass are territorial...looks like this bass found home :D

cameroncarr0311
angler level

i caught him too

Postby cameroncarr0311 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:09 pm

I caught that same fish last week on a plastic worm, he was right in front of me and I was standing on the bank droped the worm in frnt of em and he gulped it, I felt bad for catching him he was so skinny. Every time he trys to eat he gets a hook in his mouth poor guy.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:14 pm

I told Chris today not to catch him..... just keep feeding him live bait till he gets full. :lol:

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:01 pm

Saw LMB, Tag #0024 swimming around and fed him about 7 bait fish......

Some how he got to one of the baits with a hook in it and Chris landed him again yesterday. That makes it 3 days in a row he's been caught....

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:48 am

Hey Guys,

It really makes you wonder how healthy the large mouth bass population really is. I keep reading about a lot of skinny fish. And catching the same fish that often, it really doesn't sound that good.

I remember fishing with Stan, I believe back in April. He caught a really long fish, that would have easly been between 5 to 7 pounds. It was so skinny, I believe it was just a little over 3 pounds.

Just by chance, does anyone know what strain of large mouth bass is in Lake Wilson? (northern, hybrid, I really don't think Florida). Northern strain are much more aggressive, but not as thick as the popular Florida strain.

Thanks..

Bass regards, Mel - Kahuna bass
Dark side live baiter and large mouth bass fan
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:58 am

We have the Northern strain bass here. Here is an old thread about why we don't have the Florida strain. Stupid politicians!
http://www.hawaiibassfishing.com/forum/ ... ht=florida
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:38 am

Thanks Skunked!

I forgot we had this dicussion back in November 07.

It's just to bad the problem continues. The balance of power is just too much for the weaker large mouth bass. Tuc's have just dominated the lake.

It's also too bad that there are no slot limits for Tuc's, which would result in larger Tuc's, in the long run. I know, its a repeat topic.

But just, what if?

Bass regards, Mel - Kahuna bass

cameroncarr0311
angler level

Florida Bass

Postby cameroncarr0311 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:10 am

They worry bout the florida bass killing the birds two days ago I saw a Tuc knock a baby Duck clear out of the water, All bass will try and eat anything that moves at least once. So they need to do some scientific research before claiming this crazy reason for not introducing the Florida bass

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:07 pm

That will never happen Cameron. The State doesn't even worry about trash in the lake and all the homeless who trash it so you know they won't go out of their way to do research about bass
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:58 pm

There is talk of thinning out the peacock bass population. Changing the rules to allow you to keep a few. I don't know anyone who eats the fish in Lake Wilson, except the homeless. The state is waiting for the fish testing report to come back before saying it's OK to keep the fish.

If we culled a few peacock bass it should result in more larger ones.

Forget the crappys... There was a study done and it showed they just wouldn't work out. Something about over populate the lake and not get to any size I think. It was something the state seriously considered before.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:44 pm

Hey Stan,

I certainly agree with you about the slot limits. It would make a big difference in the future of the Tuc's.

Let's hope the state's fish testing come's back good.

As for the crappie, it would be nice, but there is too much competion for the shad and other local small bait fish. Crappie are like rabbits, they grow fast, and muiltiply quickly. They will school up and eat everything. However, they make great fish taco's!! :twisted:

Everything comes back to a good supply of bait. If you don't have enough of it and the space, it won't balance out at the end.

Bass regards, Mel "kahuna bass"
Dark side fish taco eater!!!! :evil:

Return to “Fishing Reports”