im getting the hang of it

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

cameroncarr0311
angler level

im getting the hang of it

Postby cameroncarr0311 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:02 pm

Well I was out at lake wilson again today trying to learn these Hawaiian Bass, I had a few strikes and caught a nice Largemouth Bass, I also lost a big catfish at the bank as I was about to grab em, my line broke. but I am starting to figure these fish out, It seems that the Largemouth are striking deeper cause I caught the one I got on a texas rig plastic worm, and all my strikes were on that and they were pretty deep. Hopefully soon I will figure out how to catch a Peacock Bass everyone around me can but I still have yet to land one.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:57 pm

seems you are already on your way,bass fishing here is 180 degrees to mainland trains of thought.your right about deeper,the dropping water and heat has driven them down as im sure it does in bama. i was out monday and watched 3 other boats chunk at the bank, all came away empty after 9 am i moved deeper myself and within 20 min had a chunky 1.4 largemouth, 10 minutes later a 2.9,both very healthy. i had the pattern and scored several more times till bout 2pm. go deep maybe 12-16 ft steep banks mud to rock transition worked best, cover wasnt a factor. lures ddint seem to matter either i hooked up on deep cranks,spinnerbaits, and jigs.......... good luck! hope that helps a bit........oh ya best to use faster lures when after tucs! but bass lures will work ifn your not a live baiter.

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:50 pm

I'm impressed you guys caught LM at that depth on Wilson. This past Feb they did some water sampling and found at 10 feet there wasn't enough O2 to support a fish population. See Stan's post about it. http://www.hawaiibassfishing.com/forum/ ... .php?t=537 I guess they must have been breathing well huh?
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:24 pm

yes i remember the post,smirked at it too.either the machine is wrong or the lvl of disolved oxygen changes,or possibly that test area was a "dead" area but alot of my best days are fishing deep. trust me the fish are there!

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:34 am

Good news Tracker. Thanks for the info.
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

Return to “Fishing Reports”