My best day on the Lake and

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Fresh&Salty
bass level

My best day on the Lake and

Postby Fresh&Salty » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:54 pm

I forgot my camera. On Friday just 2 boats and a rubber raft on the lake. My pardner and I ran out of bait after 3 hours. We caught 16 TUCS with our 20 live ones. Only one was tagged. Who can we report the info to? The two largest were 3 and 4 lbs. Good fishing everyone!

andagi4me
bait level

Questions?

Postby andagi4me » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:55 pm

If you don't mind can I ask some questions? We were the guys in the rubber raft. I've had success catching some Peacocks off my raft but not with the type of success you had. I don't think I'm doing this live bait thing correctly. On friday we fished the california grass by boy scout island and by the island itself with not much luck. We caught a pretty nice sized catfish and only one tiny Peacock. We were using some 3" mosquito fish and some small talapias hooked through the mouth with no leader and occasionaly tried to sink some down with a big split shot. My neighbor is great and gave me some good suggestions, with one being that I should acquire some simple electronics to locate the schooling fish and drop-offs. Any suggestions that you might add? If you have some secrets that you don't want to share that's totally cool too and I understand, no problem! But if you can give me a few tips that would be awesome!

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:15 pm

Fresh&Salty... give me a call 944-8514 or email me stanwright@hawaii.rr.com and give me the tag information... Tag Number, length, weight, when and where you caught it. (or as much info as you have) :D I'll find out who tagged it and where and get back to you.

Andagi4me.... Live baiting isn't as easy as some people would have you believe is it. :D I don't think it was you, this has been a slow week for big numbers of fish. Keep asking for advice and keep trying new ideas. You'll hit them one of these days.

I fished Morgans Pt. 3 times this week and only caught a few fish on two days. All under 1 1/2 pounders. On one day I used my little #10 AH hooks with live Mollies (2 to 3 inch size) We caught most of our fish on the 4 pound test rod, a few on the 6 pound test line and nothing on the 8# test. There is nothing around the point to tangle up in so light line is easy and fun.

This week we mostly cruised the shoreline casting lures. The fish were not very aggressive, so when we saw a fish chasing the lure we would quickly toss a live bait in where we saw the fish. Got several fish that way. Using 8# test, we lost more fish than we caught when they headed right back into the brush and heavy grass.

It's a trade off figuring what size hooks and how heavy a line to use. The heavy and the live bait is overpowered and can't move around. To light and the larger fish can't be landed...

I'm working on some 5 to 7 inch tilapia as bait and 30# test braded line....
don't get nearly as many fish, but they don't get back into the weeds. :lol:

As the weather and water get's warmer, you'll start seeing a lot more fish moving around and things will get easier. We'll also pass the word when they start catching 100 fish a day at Morgans Pt again.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Return to “Fishing Reports”