2 for 1

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

j_man
minnow level

2 for 1

Postby j_man » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:34 pm

I got this one heading back from Boy Scout Island. I had hooked a small one (in the background) and this big one came and hit it and somehow he got the hook as well. Of course my scale's battery was dead so I didn't get a weight but at least i had my camera!
One more thing, I'm looking to go deep sea fishing next month with 4-5 guys at work. Marlin, tuna, etc. Trying to stay around $600. Any good recommendations before i book someone just from a brochure? Thanks.

Why am I not fishing right now?

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:40 pm

J man,

Nice tuc!

As aggressive as tucs are, I'm surprised more people don't get double hook-ups.

It would have been epic, to catch a small tuc, and have a bigger one, try to make that smaller tuc a meal :twisted:

Again, excellent fish!

Mel "Kahuna bass"
Dark side live biater :twisted:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:35 pm

J-Man,
I went with Sonny at the Hickam Fishing Charter in March for mahimahi. Real super nice guy. Good thing is, unlike a lot of other charters, you can keep all the fish if you want, split it with him, or just give it all to him; your choice. I gave him a 20 lb mahimahi when I went and kept the rest. 10 hour trip was $600.
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:04 am

Hey FishinFrenzy, how was your day fishing with Sonny? Good numbers on the mahimahi? How far out did you go? Maybe to Penguin Bank? Always interested in some lower cost charters who also catches fish.

j_man, there is also Kuuloa Kai in Haleiwa. I was originally going to charter with them in May...but then I met a friend online who was willing to take me out fishing on my vacation.

Kuuloa Kai has a pretty good catch ratio (they even have "daily" catch reports with pictures. I think their full day for 4 people was $650. Check them out. And no...I am not affilliated with them...I live in Toronto, Canada :lol:

http://www.kuuloakai.com

There is also Chupu in Haleiwa as well...same deal with the good catch ratio and "weekly" reports. They are a little more pricey and runs at $750 I think.

http://www.chupu.com

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:55 pm

I've heard good things about both those guys... I've been going with the Live Bait since the mid'80s. Did several TV shows with them over the years. If you don't have a firm date you want to go, let them call you when the action is hot.
http://www.live-bait.com/
They cater to military and locals.
Nice peacock.
Aloha,
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:07 pm

Sorry for the late rely Ken. I'm currently over in Europe and finally got to check on the board. When I went with Sonny we went out to FAD HH first, then further South for a couple of miles and then a bit West before coming back in. We picked-up 6 mahimahi, biggest was almost 30 lbs. Sonny is a great guy. Super nice and easy to talk to.
Ken wrote:Hey FishinFrenzy, how was your day fishing with Sonny? Good numbers on the mahimahi? How far out did you go? Maybe to Penguin Bank? Always interested in some lower cost charters who also catches fish.

j_man, there is also Kuuloa Kai in Haleiwa. I was originally going to charter with them in May...but then I met a friend online who was willing to take me out fishing on my vacation.

Kuuloa Kai has a pretty good catch ratio (they even have "daily" catch reports with pictures. I think their full day for 4 people was $650. Check them out. And no...I am not affilliated with them...I live in Toronto, Canada :lol:

http://www.kuuloakai.com

There is also Chupu in Haleiwa as well...same deal with the good catch ratio and "weekly" reports. They are a little more pricey and runs at $750 I think.

http://www.chupu.com
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

smiley1
bait level

:)

Postby smiley1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:18 am

The fish looks yummy...

Pegasus
King Sushi level

Postby Pegasus » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:05 am

The Maggie Joe out of Kewalo is the biggest boat around and great if you have more people. They caught that 1200 lb marlin last year off oahu. It made the cover of Hawaii Fishing News. Bigger boat / Bigger price.

Ps ... That fish in the background looks like it was in bad shape. But that was a nice one in the pics. It was a tough afternoon yesterday for me.

fish4fun
master baiter level

Postby fish4fun » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:20 pm

Nice fish! I think you definitely had the catch of the day! Echoing Pegasus, i it was tough out there on Sunday, even the dark side wasn't working. Didn't Even get a single chase or strike, except for a couple little cats on the live bait. Saw a couple PBs by BSI but they just sunk away from our bait.

I think the next time I hook a small pb it may just take a while for me to get it in the boat!

Return to “Fishing Reports”