Bonefishing 5 April

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Bonefishing 5 April

Postby Ca_Bass » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:24 pm

Dusted off the fly rod for the first time in 4 years and ended up having a good day! Fished from 1000 to 1pm (low tide was at 1024). The action started off fast, with a small bonefish that can unbuttoned before I could see it. Shortly after that I hooked into a big one had me 50yds into my backing before I knew what was going on! After about 4 or 5 hard runs I landed it, my guess was it was anywhere from 5 to 6lbs!

about 20 minutes later I hook another one that felt even bigger but it got me hung up on a coral head and broke me off :(

Caught a queen fish and had a couple smaller fish come off, then i Hooked into another bonefish that was about 5lbs.

about 20 mins later I hooked anoyher bonefish...then it broke my line and my ♥ and I lost my last orange "secret" bonefish fly :(

Swithced to a baitfish pattern and caught a small papio then called it a day.

I think the key to the bonefish bite was timing the tide. I think at the low tide the fish pulled out to the edge of the reef and use the ledge as an ambush point whith the out going tide.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:58 pm

ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:37 pm

No Photos... i was in waist deep water most of the time and a few times while movong i actually had to swim... which is pretty difficult holding a fly rod and a milk crate.

I went last sunday with my waterproof camera (which isnt waterproof anymore :() but i didnt have any luck.

one bite early on probably a barracuda since i got hit and then my fly was gone... then nothing for the next few hours.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Return to “Fishing Reports”