Field Test New Lure

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Field Test New Lure

Postby Stan Wright » Fri May 03, 2013 7:30 pm

:D
As you know, I am a firm believer in the white color, 2" Senko as one of the best peacock bass lures I can find...

The only thing I don't like about the Senko lure, is that it broke so easily. Because of the high salt content, it wouldn't last for more than one fish. Even repeated casts, and it would start falling apart within an hour or less.
It was one fish on one lure... then throw it away. And if you left the lure on your hook overnight... you ended up with rusty hooks.

The two inch Senko soft plastic bait is no longer being manufactured.
I needed to find a replacement. Cutting a regular plastic worm into 2" sections, just didn't seem to work. :cry: Well, I think I found something better.

I ask Jeff to look around for a lure mold that was similar, so I could make my own version of the 2" Senko... this time with no salt so the fish couldn't tear it up.

And this is what we got. Does it work? Just ask Shane.

Jeff and Shane like the silver/sparkle. I wanted to try the green. ( I know white works ) They got lots of hits. Jeff used one ( 1 ) worm all day long and caught all his fish on that one worm without tearing it all to pieces. Houston, I think we have a winner.

Shane with a peacock bass... and he even caught a red devil on one.

"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:08 pm

I don't think it's the salt that's making the senko tear so easily but more the type of plastic that's used in making the bait itself. Gary Yammoto is notorious for making soft baits but they work and probably because they feel natural when a fish bites down on them. Salt is used more to make the bait sink faster, cloud the color, and cover up human scent. I buy 3" senko replicas from a guy in Minnesota and just cut a 1" piece from the fatter tip of the bait. They work pretty good for me but using the whole thing is pretty deadly too! Especially the shad pattern that he makes, black back with a silver bottom. $12 for a 50 pack, can't beat it.
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught" -Unknown Author

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Fri May 03, 2013 8:15 pm

Last edited by Filthyfisherman on Fri May 03, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri May 03, 2013 8:23 pm

Chris, can you PM me the Minnesota guys info. I'd like to check them out. Mahalos.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Fishing Reports”