Pongee Anyone?

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Pongee Anyone?

Postby Ahnkochee » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:29 pm

Anyone here seen let alone caught a Pongee (Snakehead) recently? I don't think I've seen one in close to 20 years in the lake. I remember when they were considered quite a nuisance chewing up expensive bass lures, I miss seeing them.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:30 am

2 weeks ago I seen a small one hanging around the boat ramp, maybe 6" at best. But last year when the water was real high, I found two in a cove guarding hundreds of fry. They're still around, probably just not as many as there were back in the day.
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught" -Unknown Author

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:44 pm

From what I've heard of their population years ago and what I've seen these last few years, I'd say they are dying off rapidly. Dunno why though. I've only caught one in 4 years.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:31 am

In my 6 years fishing the lake I saw maybe 10 at the most and never caught one. I mainly saw them when the water levels were up around the "ironwood?".
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:36 pm

saw one a couple of months ago near a laydown in the main basin. maybe 12-14 in, small by thier standards. havent caught one in a few years but i remember when you could catch 4 or 5 a trip easy and even trying to avoid catching them because of those teeth, they sure tore up lures!

Return to “Fishing Reports”