Anykine anglers

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

shanai
King Sushi level

Anykine anglers

Postby shanai » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:53 am

The anykine anglers went out on Saturday for a morning of fishing. Anykine anglers is a loose group of guys that get together chasing anykine fish at anykine place. We practice CPR (catch-picture-release) and will tag a legal size papio if we get one. For Saturday's anykine place, we ventured out to the Ala Wai.

In addition to getting some exercise ( that's what we tell our wives ) it's fun to be out with friends, trading fish stories and catching anykine fish.

Garey hooked into this nice papio on his first cast of the morning. It had a length of 11 1/2 ", was tagged and released. Garey has been an avid participant of the DLNR tagging project and has over a 100 tags to his name.

The rest of the day we able to catch a few small kaku as well. Another day of exercise and fishing.

:D steve

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

ala wai papio

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:30 am

Shanai, did you read the latest edition of Lawai'i magazine? One article was written about a tagged papio. The papio was tagged in the ala wai in 2002 and was 10 inches long, I think. It was recaputured on the Big Island recently, it weighed 30+ pounds. The tag was not visible from the outside. The fish was about 10 years old and only 30 pounds, a 100 pounder must be really old.

shanai
King Sushi level

anykine anglers

Postby shanai » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:39 am

Yes I did hear about that tagged fish from the Ala Wai ending up being caught off of the Big Island.

My anykine partner Garey mentioned that one of his previously tagged fish from the Ala Wai was caught near Sand Island after 600+ days on the run. That papio grew 7 1/2 inches from the time of the initial tag.

One of the things that is sad with the tagging program is that so few of the tagged fish that are recovered by other anglers get reported back to DLNR as to where and when they caught the tagged fish, so information about growth and migration patterns is kinda minimal. It's interesting though to know how far these fish can travel.

shanai
King Sushi level

anykine anglers 3/9/13

Postby shanai » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:59 am

The anykine anglers were out again on Saturday fishing for anykine fish. We got this tag legal size papio (10") on an anykine secret lure.
( 1/8 oz scrounger head w/ a ripple shad - ).

Garey hooked into this Kaku, did CPR and the fish was back into the water.

Another fun outing for the anykine anglers.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:25 am

:D
I was just going to ask if you saw any barracuda. LOL
It's been too long since I was fishing there.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Return to “Fishing Reports”