HFFA January Tournament -" Lunkers"

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

shanai
King Sushi level

HFFA January Tournament -" Lunkers"

Postby shanai » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:31 pm

definition of lunker : something large of its kind —used especially of a game fish ( HFFA definition, any bass and or tuc 5 pounds and over )

The first regular monthly HFFA Tournament of 2013 was held this weekend under mostly bluebird skies. The water level was about 73.5 ft and somewhat cold, starting out around 68 degrees, and it was fairly windy.

14 anglers took part in 8 boats. Although it was a beautiful day to be on the water, the catching part was difficult for many as a number of anglers did not have any fish or just one fish to show for their day's efforts. A total of 21 fish were weighed. A few anglers were on the pattern and reported culling fish.
While the overall catch was low, there were two quality fish caught.

The first lunker was a 5.17 pound Tuc caught on a secret lure ( crankbait ). He mentioned that he got the fish on his third cast of the day

The second lunker was a 5.31 LMB caught using another secret lure ( jig ). The LMB was not released back into the lake but was taken to the Wahiawa Middle School LMB hatchery to be used as part of the breeding stock.

So there are some lunkers in Lake Wilson, you just gotta be in the right place at the right time using that secret lure.

:D steve

Next HFFA Tournament Sunday, February 17th

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:52 pm

Still can't believe he caught that monster on the same day I caught mine! Congrats to him on his catch! Had a great day fishing and didn't mind sharing my secret lures with good friends! See y'all at the February tournament!
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught" -Unknown Author

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:58 pm

Just to clarify, I did not catch the 5 lb. LMB. Kelton was the angler who landed this beautiful fish. I am simply holding it for the camera. And yes, this is the largest bass I've held. We suspect this is a female bass and just in time for the spawn! Lunker LMB are VERY rare in our lake. Hopefully she will pass along her good genetics to the fry and they will eventually re-populate out lake!

This was a tough tournament. Some (previously) top ranked anglers didn't catch anything. Some lower ranked anglers got lucky with a modest bag. This thread should be titiled "LUNKER and SKUNKER"!! :lol:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Pegasus
King Sushi level

Postby Pegasus » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:37 pm

That is a rare largemouth indeed ! Nice fish ! There are way more 5 lb tucs in the lake then there are 5lb largemouth. Great to see one come up. I guess we will see more guys throwing that secret lure.........

Return to “Fishing Reports”