the case for large swimbaits

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

the case for large swimbaits

Postby BASSTRACKER » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:53 am

well saturday was fairly tough for fishing, least for me it took quite some time to get an idea where and what the fish wanted. i never did put all the pieces together but managed to get 8 after i figured out a part of it. 4 got off right at the boat, i couldnt keep em buttoned up, seems all of them were barely hooked even the ones i did get to land. still managed to get a nice 3lb bass on a senko , nice way to say goodbye to 2012.shad pods along the surface everywhere! mostly unmolested though and no matter what i threw under them i couldnt get bit. my last fish was a typical 15in 1.8lb bass but he/she was built like a football! huge fat tummy. definate eating machine, as i went to unhook it i noticed something flipping inside the mouth. at first i thought it was a huge crawfish tail, but then i noticed the dot! there was about 3 inchs of tail sticking out and still kicking! id estimate the tuc was about 6-8in long and being eaten by a 15-16 in bass so if anyone has any doubts about throwing too large a bait...... hahaha no i didn't take it out, couldnt get a grip on it with just 2 fingers and being head first i didnt want to stick the dorsals in the basses gullet, that bass was having a great meal! she/he keeps it up it will be a 5 lb bass in no time hahaha. and even with that sticking in there still attacked a 5xd crank!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:57 pm

That is awesome! Largemouth > Tuc! Mattlures makes a perch swimbait that looks a lot like a general or a baby tuc i believe its 5 inches. I picked up a few when i was out there but i never really threw it for longer than 30 mins at a time. That's the kinda a bait you gotta just throw all day and expect not to get many bites on. It's tough to do though for sure. Man a couple months back i was throwing my super secret swimbait and caught a yellow perch that was an easy 1.5lbs....wish I would have taken a picture of that thing :(

Nice fish! Definitely looks heavier than 1.8lbs.

I just did a google search for yellow perch records....damn, now i really wish i would have taken a picture of that fish. It was definitely bigger than a lot of state record yellow perch :(
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:50 pm

na alec that fish in the pic is my 3lb kicker i got to finnish the year out. didn't get a pic of the fish with the tuc in his mouth. ya i have seen some of the perch swimbaits and now i guess im gonna have to get at least one hahaha. i learned my lesson with that jaguar cichlid i got. if its something out of the ordinary put it in the live well and google the record, get it certified what you got to lose!

Struggles2Paddle
master baiter level

Postby Struggles2Paddle » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:59 pm

I might need to buy some jointed swimbaits in firetiger. Maybe get a custom painted wooden swimbait :D
All day I dream about fishing

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:56 pm

Go with the softies! Especially the huddleston deluxe! They have a super natural action...they almost look like they aren't doing anything really but it's not the case. Draw back with these styles are the stock hook isn't ideal as it's a large bait with only one hook on the back. But there is a ring on the bottom to attach a stinger and you can hide it behind the anal fins. Also you can add a stinger on the main hook. There are a bunch of youtube vids with rigging techniques for the huds and other softies.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Huddlest ... -HD6T.html

Mattlures makes some nice ones too and give the option of the flat tail like the hudds or the bootail which provides more action/wobble which can be a plus sometimes too, mattlures also makes a SICK tilapia swimbait. After checking out the mattlures selection on TWH i noticed their bluegilllineup has changed a bit since i ordered mine, they have the tilapia in the U2 bluegill which is only 4 inches...looks bite size to me the ones i have were like 5 or 6 inches and i never really had the confidence/patience to throw them for very long. Wish i had! Especially in the winter where the fishing is a bit slower and for some reason i always seemed to catch larger fish

I miss wilson :( but....i have plans to go to guntersville in February so i think I can get over it :)

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Mattlure ... L6PSB.html

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:53 pm

Why buy them brent????? We got our own 6" here at FF!!!!
Tests at Lake Wilson reveil A lot of misses,, stinger hook needed to be expiramented with....

Struggles2Paddle
master baiter level

Postby Struggles2Paddle » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:38 pm

I totally forgot about those haha! I wouldn't mind throwing those all day. It's like a hudd but better because it smells good too :D
All day I dream about fishing

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:30 pm

Filthyfisherman! Can you make those in two tone colors? Im thinking something like a blue back herring. Like a silver/pearly color on the belly then green with blue flake on the top?

Another question, are they thruline swimbaits? If so you could rig two trebles on the belly. Run your line through and tie to a split ring that already has a treble on it. Then you could use some 40 or 50lbs mono and use the crimp things, i forget what they're called and attach a second treble (approximately 2 inches or so behind the ring) and that will also be on the split ring. To make the hooks less obvious you could clip off one of the 3 hooks on both trebles right at the bend and push it into the bait so it will hold tight to the belly but not tear the bait up since you wont have the barb on there. Im not smart enough to have come up with it on my own just watched a whole bunch of hudd rigging videos awhile back

One more question, are they weighted? Im looking for a unweighted swimbait that i can work SUPER SLOW but not get too deep. Your bait looks like it would definitely have enough mass to cast unweighted!

Return to “Fishing Reports”