Lake is Low!!

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Lake is Low!!

Postby Filthyfisherman » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:36 am

Getting pretty low.. Was out yesterday.. 13ft at the bridge,, well below the 20ft tag on the bridge piling.. Guess there inticipating a heavy rain season! Hoping the valve isn't broke again!!!!! Were almost 2 feet below the mean from the past 6 years!!!!

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:34 am

:shock:

Water level is off the chart on the LOW side... it only registers down to 68 feet. At least it opens a lot more options for the shore fishermen.
Boaters better slow down before they "discover" some newly exposed islands.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Did you by chance see any schooling action this week?
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:17 am

A little schooling action,, but not much!!! We were flipping deep wood and a little ledge fishing... Hope they don't Have a FISH KILL on the lake if it drops much lower!

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:14 pm

saw a guy on my way home tonight standing out on the point at the military housing side of miki miki flats about 30ft out in the middle of the lake and it was only knee deep on him, real real slow when you take that corner and im sure there are several that are just as hidden, drive slow and safe!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:27 pm

Take pictures of the humps, points and structure! If you can, try to get at least two reference points so you can find the good spots once the water goes back up! Also helps to take notes to accompany the photos. Or better yet (not sure how many of you have any sort of gps unit)...this is what ive been doing at clarks hill (its about 15ft low right now) mark them on GPS. When ever they decide to let the lake fill lake back up...i'll have all sorts of good offshore structure to fish. Ive been trying to get my waypoints on the most distinct feature on the humps and shoals that are now little island. If there is a rock pile or stumps ect...i should be able to find them a little easier once they are covered with water. Just some ideas....unfortunately i dont think Navionics will be coming out with a contour map/chip for lake wilson anytime soon :(
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:54 pm

How much lower before the ramp unusable?
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:15 am

:(
When I launched the boat yesterday the trailer wheels were on the slats at the bottom of the ramp.... I figure we have another maybe 4 or 5 feet before it starts to be a real problem?

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:13 pm

IIRC, I launched when there were 13-15+/- slats showing.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:35 pm

anyone know why they seem to be taking it so low? its gotta be way below the 65ft level by now. personally i like it at 72-74ft but i can live with 68ft. i have always thought 65ft was too low and it seems to still be dropping.

Bozu
bass level

Postby Bozu » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:24 pm

I know that 69 feet was the agreed upon minimum lake level to relieve
pressure on the Dam and help prevent flooding downstream. However,
they still must be drawing off water to irrigate whatever crops that still need
watering. It hasn't rained for more than a month now. No new rainfall to offset whats being drawn off.
They (whoever they may be) should pay more attention to the rain gauges up Mauka and plan accordingly.
There isn't much leeway between 69 feet and a low water, no launch scenario.
It's been dry and according to NOAA and other weather reports, its going to be a dry winter.
If Ag crops need water they'll continue the drawdown. The lack of rainfall should have been accounted for,
and the water maintained at a higher level to prepare for this drought like conditions.
I agree with Basstracker 72-74 feet is a better level. It provides everyone
concerned with a bigger cushion. :cry:

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:42 am

That is awesome INFo Bozu!!! Thanks for helping out!!!! DLNR has been notified!!!! Just waiting to hear from them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At times like this,,,,,, It has become very clear what needs to be done here!!!!!!! A B.A.S.S. Club comes with the backing of a National Organization, with support from multiple Environmental Protection agancies... I beleave once we start a Federation B.A.S.S. club, one,, it will get us National exposure! Two,,,, it will put a burner under the DLNR's Butt to take better care of the Lake!!!!! (The Fish Technican for DLNR)? And Three,,,, And most importantly,,, It will be FUN!!!!!!!!! My vision of BASSMASTERS HAWAII is to setup a club in which ALL members share info, techniques, spots, stories, etc,, the club in general will become Better anglers!!!

Scary time for me!!!! The final discision for me to move to hawaii was based on the fact that Bucks County PA destoryed my fishing hole!!!!!!
This is what happened to my pervious fishing spot!!!!!! We have to fight for our fishing spots this time and age!!!!!!!! I was responsable for having the EPA issue the County a $75,000 fine for the FISH KILL!!! The lake has not been restocked by PA,, but I restocked it... Bass are being caught again today!!!!!

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:49 am

:D
This is the only lake we've got... got to work hard and work together so we don't loose it.

chipster621
bass level

Postby chipster621 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:01 pm

Today's (nov 5) water level.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:23 pm

:D
I called to ask about the low water level and they told me... "Water level is currently 63.9 ft. - still within ball park but understandably of concern with regard to launching the boat. Will keep an eye on it and find out what's going on Still within range of required water level between 60 to 65 ft."

They are concerned about fish kill and also our ability to launch the boats.
On a personal note, I wish they could keep the water level at FULL... but since they can't I wish it wouldn't go below 70 feet.
Stan

Pegasus
King Sushi level

Postby Pegasus » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:32 pm

Here are a few pictures of the ramp area when the lake was at 57 feet. You can see the blocks start at the end of the wall. At this level, no trailers could use the ramp. ( Only some fool with a port-a bote ! ) You can also see the 60 ft marker on BSI. This was about as low as it got. They fixed the problem shortly after this trip and the lake filled back up. Scary pictures !

Return to “Fishing Reports”