FF report 8/11/12 and trokar hooks review

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

marcusn
King Sushi level

FF report 8/11/12 and trokar hooks review

Postby marcusn » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:10 pm

Went fishing for a bit with my dad to chase the afternoon bite. Blue bird skies and barely any cloud cover so it was HOT on the lake today. First, tried throwing the ff treat worm on a shakeyhead at points and got nothing. Threw the agent utah at some cover and got nothing also. After no bites for a while we finally found some good schooling action. Rigged our new FF soft jerkbait, 5in. size. It was on after that, me and my dad caught 20+. Unbelievable wounded minnow action and casts great too. Went through half of my jerkbaits. the bass were jumping out of the water for this lure. Got some solid 2 1/2 pounders. caught a tagged bass today. tag #4267, 17in. 2.4lbs. Great way to spend a weekend after school!

Trokar Hooks:
With all the hype about those trokar hooks i wanted to try them out myself to see if they were worth the expensive price tag. i probably missed 4 or 5 fish today........ and another couple threw the hook. it was almost like fishing with barbless hooks haha. the fish that weren't hooked were not because of bad hooksets, and the fish that threw the hook was not because of poor fish fighting. i felt a trokar hook next to a gamakatsu and the gamakatsu is no doubt sharper .And i have never had that many bass spit a gamakatsu like it was nothing. i may have gotten a bad pack but im sticking with gamakatsu for now.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:04 am

Glad to hear you got on some schooling action. Thats the best! I don't have any experience with the Trokar hooks, mainly because of reading prior reviews, similar to yours. Seems to be more hype than actual performance.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:20 pm

I actually prefer trokars for softjerkbaits over the gamas except for the price difference. The gamas I feel are just about as good, but the trokars aren't worth the extra $. If I didn't have to pay for them, it would be trokar for softjerkbaits(don't like them for texas rigged baits in cover because they tend to get hung more often for me) One thing you have to remember with softjerkbait fishing is it inherently comes with missed fish. I would highly recomend using scent with them and you definately have to let them eat it. A lot of time they just don't get the whole thing I theie mouth or they will nip the tail or just hit and spit faster then you can react because they are only hitting it as a reaction strike. Another thing that may increase your hookup ratio is playing with hook size. In general I think a 3/0 is good, but some of the thicker or larger baits like 5 inches do better on a 5/0. I played around a lot with the light wire and heavy duty hooks as well. With a fluke I have more hook ups with a lighter hook, I think this is because the plastic is harder and the light wire hooks move more easily though it. Baits like the caffine shad that are softer I prefer a heavier hook as they seem to hold up better and still penetrate well.

Another tip when fishing open water is to not skin hook the tip just leave it exposed. That is probably the best advise I have for softjerks. I used to always skin hook them no matter what type of cover I was using but it does cause some missed fished.

There are so many things that can increase or decrease softjerkbait hook ups. But a high speed reel, a 6'10" to 7ft rod and flouro or braid will also help drastically. since you fish sjb's with with slack in the line, a longer rod helps pick up slack and so does the high speed reel. Using lighter braid obviously elimates stretch and come through the water faster. As there is less drag because of the smaller diameter so you can get a quality hook set a tad faster. Same goes for flouro, just depends if you want to keep your bait higher in the strikezone with braid or let it get down more with flouro. I usually opt for flour as you can work the bait faster to keep it up or use a lighter hook. Its harder to get them down with braid without adding a nail weight which is hard to rig without making your bait spin.

One thing I started doing that is really popular down south here is adding a mediuam to heavy swivel. It obviously eliminates line twist that come with sjbs and also helps get your down a little bit seems to get me more bites then working up more like a topwater.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Return to “Fishing Reports”