Report 7-7-2012

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Report 7-7-2012

Postby Filthyfisherman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:04 am

Launched 11-4pm, Rainy, Prt Cloudy, Sunny, Brezzy, Wind S 7.3mph, BP 30.07s, WT 79-81 stained 2ft, Level 71.70f, 6LM Bass, Lossing a bunch of fish today as well.. Started out at Boy Scout Island and had two on and lost them in a schooling pattern with a LC JerkBait PT65DD in Ghost Shad color! This lure matches the shad hatch perfect, but is really small and needs a really good finesse setup for baitcaster. I am thinking tho a spinnerbait setup is only way to go with this. Jerkbaits are hard to find that run true! Go LC. Then I fished Kemmo Island and around the area.. I was stopping at all good points and fished secondary points with a drop shot and was getting bites and actually hooked up with two and lost them for some reason! I was using the Fitlhyfishermen Cut Tail 4" worm in Pumpkin color with 3/8oz ball weight.... Then I made a run to the Kincades and ran the Grassy and woody bank with a Filthyfishermen Agent Utah in smoke color and Carnival colors with a 1/8oz bullet tungsten weight and 1/0 EWG hook..... And the Day went from a struggle to success!!! Caught a bunch on that Stretch!! This pattern will last a while until they switch to Wood n the schooling pattern if it happens this year! All in all I am getting up and making lures Again! And have two WILSON CUSTOM 2" Swim style lures in the making!!!! Stay tuned for more Sales with custom packs to clean up at wilson! ALSO THE RED DEVIL THROW DOWN for July 2012 is a GO!!!! 7-29-12 !!!! Sponsored by FF!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:39 pm

The WTB Tournement meeting is also on 7-29-12. Hopefully things are co-ordinated.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

hanapa
angler level

7-7-12

Postby hanapa » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:20 pm

FF,
Was out there yesterday too, but didn't see you.Did pretty good and ended up with 8-9 LGM. Thanks to your expertise that you showed me, used your "Trick" worm in Pumpkin color?(Whatever it was that you gave me) and found success along the banks. Also got a couple in the schools on spinnerbaits. Overall the size average was better than normal, with most between 14-15.5 ". Also caught tagged LGM #4243 (tag area was kinda infected).
Gotta order some baits from you what's the best way to contact? Also still owe you that trip on my boat. Let me know!

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:10 pm

The tournament meeting will be at 4pm so those participating in the RD tournament should be good. I think last RD tournament I was in I believe it ended at 2 or 3. Just let me know if 4 is still good for everyone.

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:10 am

Ya,,,, I was thinking ending the RD Toureny this month at 3pm,, so we can count fish, and make our way to the ramp by 4pm.... 10am-3pm the Red Devil Tourney will be, with the 4pm WTB meeting at the ramp... Was my plan..

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:26 am

Sounds good.....I wish I could participate in the RD tourney but the baby sitters is pricy on those long days of fishing and I gotta save my money for the club tournaments. I'll call you this week to plan to meet so we can get the gift bags together for the WTB tournament.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:41 pm

FF a good baitcasting set up for a small jerkbait is the allstar micro guide topwater rod. I've had one for a little while now and its quite nice for squarebills, jerks and obviously topwaters. It is light and limber enough to cast a smaller bait acurately and has enough flex to keep from pulling trebels out. Best reel I've used for casting lighter baits is a team daiwa zillion. Another good rod for the smaller jerks is the team daiwa TD-X casting dropshot rod...only thing is they stopped making it and its pretty hard to come by. Don't know about your spinnerbait setups by mine are too heavy and cause trebels to pull out. I've been torn about my line choice for jerks though. Mono let's you get a little more action but flouro gets the bait down deeper and has more feel. Flouro also doesn't end up getting tangled as much because its stiffer. At wilson I would use 10lb braid and tie a 5 ft leader of 8lb or 10lb flouro for jerks. Kinda goes against the grain for normal jerkbait fishing but but at wilson, when you're casting into the laydowns it helps get some of those fish out of the sticks.

Check out the H20 express (academy sports exclusive) jerkbaits they and pretty much all of their other hardbaits are identical to the LCs (they're made by lucky craft just have different paint jobs and the hooks aren't as good). They are also about half the price. I still think the LC are a little better but the h20 express are great for backups or practice if you don't feel like losing 15 dollars baits.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Return to “Fishing Reports”