Small or large mouth??

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Cris808
bass level

Small or large mouth??

Postby Cris808 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:05 pm

caught this bad boy fishing with marcusn on a wave worm tiki grass craw. is it a small or large mouth?lol

KIA68
master baiter level

Postby KIA68 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:20 pm

I believe it's a SMALL Large MOUTH............ :roll:

Cris808
bass level

Postby Cris808 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:30 pm

so its a large mouth lol

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:22 pm

Looks like a smallie to me.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:46 am

Ahnkochee wrote:Looks like a smallie to me.

Sorry Ahnko, that's the only time I disagree with you. :P It's a largemouth. :lol:
Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear.

I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger than they really are.

Life List: 386 species and counting

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca ... -list.html

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:22 am

http://www.ontariofishingforums.com/forum/

http://www.greatlakesbass.com/forum/index.php

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishin ... 47&t=17902

Nice catch chris808!!!! Largemouth Bass for sure!!!! Most likely A Kentucky LM Bass to be precise! I'll have to take you and Marcus out on the new rig next month!!!!!!!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:52 am

Its a largemouth. You can verify this by the lateral line running down the side and the color. Smallies are more of a bronze color and have coined the nickname "bronzebacks". Good looking fish!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:27 pm

Ken wrote:
Ahnkochee wrote:Looks like a smallie to me.

Sorry Ahnko, that's the only time I disagree with you. :P It's a largemouth. :lol:

I didn't say it was a smallmouth I said it looks like a smallmouth to ME.
The body color may look more like a largemouth but the head and mouth look more like a smallmouth. I've caught more smallmouths than both largemouths and tucs put together and that head, mouth, and even the eyes look more like a smallmouth to ME. :wink:

Cris, Where did you catch it, main lake or in the headwater stream? Smallmouth here in the islands generally prefer cooler flowing stream waters to the warmer lake waters.
Do they ever hybridize?
Last edited by Ahnkochee on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Cris808
bass level

Postby Cris808 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:23 pm

Thanks guys and yea for sure jeff!! just let me know when u get it. I was talking to Marcus about it today. I heard that small and large mouth can't mate with each other???

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:34 pm

:D

With the fishes mouth closed...
Look at the eye of the fish.
If the mouth extends back past the eye, it's a largemouth.
If the mouth does not extend back to the eye, it's a smallmouth.

:twisted:
( If the mouth is large, it's a largemouth.
If the mouth is small, it's a smallmouth. )
:roll: :roll: :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Cris808
bass level

Postby Cris808 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:22 pm

yea the mouth wasnt as big as all the other largemouth i caught thats y i was confused. to me i thought it was a hybrid

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:58 am

Cris808 wrote:I heard that small and large mouth can't mate with each other???

While it is not impossible for a LMB/SMB to mate, it is very rare.

This taken from Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources:

“Mean-mouth Bass”

Angler interest in the naturally occurring smallmouth bass / spotted bass hybrid has heightened recently due to an article in BASSMASTER magazine concerning the documentation of a new state record in Missouri. The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources would like to address this hybrid and its implications to anglers.

A hybrid occurs when one fish species spawns with a different, but closely related species. Hybrids can occur naturally or can also be intentionally produced in a hatchery. Naturally occurring hybrids are common among sunfish species such as bluegill and green sunfish. A common hatchery produced hybrid is the hybrid striped bass (white bass / striped bass). Hybrids of black bass species have been documented in the United States for some time. Early research dealt with hatchery production of a largemouth bass / smallmouth bass hybrid. This was the original “mean-mouth” bass. The largemouth / smallmouth bass hybrid is not common in nature due to differences in both habitat preferences and spawning times. However, smallmouth bass and spotted bass can overlap in habitat use and spawning times. Generally, there are subtle behavioral differences associated with spawning that prevent or minimize hybridization. Although the smallmouth bass / spotted bass hybrid is not the original “mean-mouth” bass, it has acquired this name over time.

The smallmouth / spotted bass hybrid has been found at very low densities in several states including Missouri and Georgia. Kentucky has not documented the presence of this hybrid. This does not mean it doesn’t exist; it just means the Department has not collected any specimens and genetically tested them.
The Department has now begun to examine for the presence of this fish in Kentucky.

A limited number of anglers have been asked to save some fish that they consider to be “mean-mouth” bass. We ask that only these selected anglers provide the fish so that we do not receive more fish than we can process. Collected fish will be sent to a lab for genetic testing.

Most anglers will probably never encounter this hybrid due to its low numbers. An “odd” looking smallmouth or spotted bass may not necessarily be a hybrid. Presently there is no size-limit regulation addressing hybrid black bass; however the six fish creel limit will apply. Wildlife and Boating officers will exercise their discretion when they inspect these fish in angler’s creel. To prevent any problems, anglers should obey the smallmouth bass size limit (the most restrictive) when they catch a “mean-mouth”.
By Jeff Ross Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Cris808
bass level

Postby Cris808 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:35 pm

oh wow thats pretty interesting. i could have caught a hybrid :)

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:10 pm

Cris,
I put the pic up on a mainland fishing forum. While most think it is a LMB, one guy thinks its consistent with a "Spotted" bass. After reading this, well, maybe,....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_bass

Cris808
bass level

Postby Cris808 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:31 pm

oh wow it sort of looks like a spotted bass. could u send me the link of the mainland forum post to see wut they think?
Thanks

Return to “Fishing Reports”