Schooling LMB

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Schooling LMB

Postby Stan Wright » Thu May 31, 2012 9:14 pm

:D
Didn't see that many spawning peacock bass... there were a few, but the only time we were looking for them was when a lure hung up in the grass or a tree and we moved in close to shore to free it.

Most of the peacock bass strikes came on small white plastic baits worked slowly at the surface. Twitch it a little, or just a steady reel so it made a wake at the surface. The strikes were coming anywhere from right at the shoreline to right beside the boat. If the lure was in the water... you could get hit. Lots of action everywhere we fished.

Water visibility was about 4 to 5 feet up the north fork.... and the largemouth bass were schooling. They didn't stay on the surface for long and always seemed to be "over there" out of casting distance... but when you got a lure in the bust... hook up.

I wanted to catch a fish on my Alabama Rig... but nothing doing... all afternoon. Shane kept throwing, I gave up and started catching bass on a gold CastMaster, a crank bait, a stick bait, a Sinko.... I even took one of the twister tails off the Bama rig and caught with that... but NOT A STRIKE on the Bama Rig.

Then Shane got the speed or depth or something right and caught one.
First fish I've ever seen caught on an Alabama Rig. Only single fish, not 2 or 3 or 4 or 4 at a time like on the sales videos. :lol:

As the sun hid behind the clouds, the action picked up. Healthy largemouth bass chasing schools of shad... lots of shad. All about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds. Never did catch any peacock bass with the schooling largemouth.

Then just as we were about to leave... Double. Two fish on the Alabama Rig.
Perfect end to a great day of fishing.

"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:16 am

You would think sizeing down to those 3" lures would do better on the A Rig at Wilson,, but I find the bigger 4" hollow belly Shadlisious blue back's work the best! You never seem to go long without a hit when useing the larger Hollowbelly swimbaits! But put down the A Rig cause of the Gaffing effect the bottom hooks do some times sticking the fish in the back.. Only 1 of 8 times maybe it happened.... Their is a new A-Rig type 3 way that runs like a Spinnerbait that I am very intrested in. The Trash is pretty bad around the lake? What was done in past Stan? A dumpster at the park? I would like to start getting rid of the trash, Do you think I can leave it by the bathroom in that fenced in area were the guy puts trash, up by the house????

Great Double!!!!!!!!

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:44 am

I've actually been reading alot of pros are turning against the A rigs now because alot if the fish are getting tore up by the other hooks and I guess alot of deep hooks too.fish are dying in the live wells and with the penalties so stiff for dead and dying fish alot of guys that were for it are turning against it. Need to try Texas rigging em maybe?? Hard to say I haven't put enough time in with the rigg to have an opinion.garbage wise I fill the can at the ramp and always bring a few yard bags also, I often fill several of those and leave them next to the can. Larger items I have brought in I usually take in the back of my truck and toss later at a convenience center.i know opie does something similar.i pick up odds and ends as I fish and although it's constantly replaced with new trash I do have areas that haven't had the trash come back as fast. It's pretty satisfying to come back to a bank to fish it and not have all the cups and plates and shoes floating there.

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

A-rig

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:28 am

If foul hooking is a problem then maybe you should consider the circle hook or bending the hook inward toward the shank. The points on the circle hooks are bent in and should prevent foul hooking. We whip with curly tails using circle hooks and they catch fish. To rig, simply hook the lure thru the nose. Don't know if this will work for swimbaits though.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:54 pm

I've had a little success with rigging yum money minnows on belly weighted swimbait hooks. You can skin hook them that way. I was using 1/8th oz SB hooks and I don't think it was enough weight to keep them running straight. Still a lot to be learned about the A Rig. But one thing is for sure, I don't think the crazy hype that came along with it is at the same level.

It made it's debut at the perfect time....when bass are feeding heavily on shad due to the fall turnover.

So far my best success has come with reaction innovation little dippers rigged on 1/8th oz darter head jigs, but they don't solve the foul hooking issue.

I've been messing around a little bit making my own. It's not terribly difficult, I used JB weld to make the head. Get my fingers a little wet to keep it from sticking. I shape it as symmetrical as I can then I use a dremel tool to smooth it out and touch it up. Need to actually get some actual spinnerbait wire (i've been using surveyor flags and the wire is just too thick). In one of the past BASSMASTER or FLW mags (cant remember which one) they showed all the variations of the A Rig now since the original has come out. There are some tailored for states with different laws like California (they only have 3 hooks). Some have 5 arms but have added another two or three smaller arms in the middle with willow type spinnerbait blades.

There are also a few that are much more compact, those may not foul hook fish as bad because the wire is likely less flexible (I dunno for sure just a guess).

It does seem like the A Rig has lost some steam though.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:13 pm

Ya,, the swimbait hooks are hard to get hooked up. Circles would tear threw... I really think this is more the ticket.

http://www.bassmafiatackle.com/mini-fre ... te-3-wire/

. A 3 wire Mini Frenzy,, from the swim N' frenzy umberllea rig company..... You can throw this more like a spinnerbait! The three wire design suppost to stop that gaffing effect of the 5 wire umbrella causes...

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:40 pm

That one is pretty clever! Similar to the one I was talking about but I like it a little more as it creates the same effect, but it doesn't actually have the extra arms.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:47 pm

:D
Just of to any fishing supply store and get stainless steel wire leader. It comes in all sizes. They have sleeves too... or lead football weights.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:57 pm

I'm curious, has anyone ever even verified with the DLNR Water Nazis if this multi-hook rig is even legal in Lake Wilson?
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:32 pm

I've read for myself where using two or more hooks per line IS illegal on Lake Wilson.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

djverve05
master baiter level

Postby djverve05 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:25 pm

The 2 or more hooks on a line would make a lot of our baits we use illegal then. Both rattle traps and crankbaits have 2 treble hooks. I don't see them screwing anyone over those baits.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:05 pm

If I have time, I'll post up the exact wording. It doesnt effect crank baits, etc., just using more than one lure per line. I doubt I'll find the time to look it up though! :lol:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:19 pm

roadwarriorsvt wrote:If I have time, I'll post up the exact wording. It doesnt effect crank baits, etc., just using more than one lure per line. I doubt I'll find the time to look it up though! :lol:

Permitted
To fish with hook-and-line with not more than one lure or baited hook or two artificial flies attached to a single line, provided that on weekends and holidays only one line may be used, and on weekdays other than holidays two lines may be used.
http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/regulated_ar ... ml#wahiawa
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:05 am

Ahnkochee wrote:
roadwarriorsvt wrote:If I have time, I'll post up the exact wording. It doesnt effect crank baits, etc., just using more than one lure per line. I doubt I'll find the time to look it up though! :lol:

Permitted
To fish with hook-and-line with not more than one lure or baited hook or two artificial flies attached to a single line, provided that on weekends and holidays only one line may be used, and on weekdays other than holidays two lines may be used.
http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/regulated_ar ... ml#wahiawa

Hey DJ, I found it!!! :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Fishing Reports”