Sunday, Parking lot FULL

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Sunday, Parking lot FULL

Postby Stan Wright » Sun May 20, 2012 5:30 pm

:D
I guess the good side was there were so many people out enjoying the fishing.

:(
On the other hand, we had to park up the hill.

Only made it a little past the bridge...
and only fished about 30 to 45 minutes.
You'll have to ask Dougie how many fish
we caught, I lost count. Here are a few of the fish...just to give you an idea of the variety we caught.
Yes, he did catch more than me.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Sun May 20, 2012 11:14 pm

All caught on Tenkara tackle?
What is that buggah? I know not a devil or a tilapia but definitely a type of cichlid. Nice looking fish.

ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon May 21, 2012 8:15 am

banded jewel cichlid?
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

shanai
King Sushi level

Sunday, Parking Lot Full

Postby shanai » Mon May 21, 2012 8:26 am

The HFFA held their May tournament on Sunday so 16 anglers in eleven boats helped to fill the parking lot. It was another beautiful day for fishing
with mostly overcast skies, some bluebird periods and light showers. Water temperature started out around 77 degrees and warmed up to about 81 degrees in the afternoon. The water level was about 72' and water clarity was fairly clear.

It was a mixed day of fishing as some members did really well while others hard a hard time with the "catching" part. The majority of fish caught were bass in the usual 1-2 lb range. A number of Tucs were caught but they were in the 3-4 pound range. There were some sporadic busts here and there.

On our boat, we had a Murphy kind of day where one thing after another went wrong. The morning started with a late wakeup and then a scramble to get to the launch site. This followed with fishing line caught in the prop of the trolling motor. Even after removing the foul line, the trolling motor would only run at low speed and not at all in reverse. When we get to fishing, we try worming, jigs, crankbaits, spinnerbaits - NOTHING ! All the while we pass other boats and fishermen who report that the bass are biting everything that they are using.

It's now about ten and we still did not "catch" any fish let alone get any bites. We continue to fish and then the trolling motor dies altogether. A check finds that one of the battery wires had shaken loose.
We spend the next 45 minutes crawling under the bow to reach the trolling plug so that we can reattach the wire.

Needless to say, we continued to have other Murphy moments throughout the day. We finally get our first bite and fish on a squarebill crankbait in open water about 1:30 in the afternoon. We ended "catching" three more bass, one more on the squarebill and the other two on a lipless rat-l-trap.

All in all, despite our Murphy day, we still rather be on the water fishing than at home mowing the lawn.

steve :P

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Mon May 21, 2012 8:48 am

Will's Hawg yesterday.....

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Mon May 21, 2012 10:17 am

Ahnkochee wrote:All caught on Tenkara tackle?
What is that buggah? I know not a devil or a tilapia but definitely a type of cichlid. Nice looking fish.

If I remember correctly one of the aquarium experts on here said that is a color variation of a red devil. The first one I saw a pic of I though was a convict cichlid but you look closely at the fins and body structure it does appear to be a red devil.
Last edited by Ca_Bass on Mon May 21, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon May 21, 2012 10:39 am

Some beautiful peacocks were caught yesterday!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Fishing Reports”