Red Devil Pick Up Tourney

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Red Devil Pick Up Tourney

Postby Filthyfisherman » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:08 am

I am throwing a pick up tourney for Red Devils next weekend.. Next Sunday the 28th is a penciled in date.... Live bait allowed.. The Most Red Devils caught wins... Free Lures will be handed out compliments Fitlhyfishermen Bait Co... $10 winner take all.......

shanai
King Sushi level

Postby shanai » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:00 am

Spoke with Jeff, just wanted to let everyone know that the tournament is on Sunday the 29th, 8-2 p.m. ( not on the 28th )

:D

chipster621
bass level

lures

Postby chipster621 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:44 pm

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:58 pm

Maybe you guys with livewells could look into selling/trading the large red devils. The big ones are pretty valuable in the aquarium trade...sometimes up to $50 for the large fish. Out here in ga I've seen breeding pairs of jaguar chiclids go for $150. Not as common at wilson as the red devils obviously but I have a caught a few large jaguars on plastic worms over there. Both times were at condo cliffs. I think they like the rocks.

I wish I had known how valuable the big chiclids could be when I was in Hi and found something to do with them besides just throwing them back

Good idea about the red devil tourney! You should throw in a big fish pot as well :) Those things needs some sort of population control and this may be the best/only way to do it. Once they get to the size that most people catch, they are pretty much untouchable from %99 of the fish in the lake. Wish I could participate! Maybe one day I'll get stationed out there again.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:52 am

I just got to thinking... If I fish the tournament,
What am I going to do with the 100+ red devils that I'm gone catch?
I don't want to take them home (then I'D HAVE TO CLEAN THEM)
Can't dump them in the rubbish cans at the park... oh da stink.
Just wondering.
:?
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:14 am

If I can make it to the tourney, I'll take them all. They'll become compost on my neighbors farm.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:33 pm

Knud Lindgard was promoting these as an eating fish, and they are targeted as such by immigrant fishermen. Chinese love red colored fish so would think perfect to steam up for them. Too bad you can't sell these in China town, would make a great live food display.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:20 pm

Why can't you sell them?

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:34 pm

I have never heard you cannot. I've asked a few pet stores but no one wants them.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:43 am

:D
The pet stores I spoke with don't want them either...
they don't play well with other fish in the tank... shoots,
they don't even play well with each other.
This is one Chris caught several years ago.

( a new state record if he'd ever turned in the paperwork.)
It killed everything in his 100 gallon tank, then piled all the gravel
in one end of the tank. It would eat anything the
neighborhood kids would toss into the tank.

Jesse
bass level

Postby Jesse » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:43 am

heres a forum where people buy and sell aquarium fish
http://www.forumshawaii.com/index.php?/ ... ilter__all

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Some details about Sunday

Postby Filthyfisherman » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:16 am

OK, we are receiving some feed back for this, and I've talked to a few anglers out on the Lake... Sunday,, IS A GO!!!!!! Sunday the 29th, from 8am to 2pm.... There is no Pre Tourney meeting or registering... If you roll out of bed and wanta come join,, More than Welcome... Just come see me out on the water!! I will have a sign in sheet and collect.. Tourney entry fee will be $10 with an additonal $5 Lunker pool, opinonal... People with livewells or using a stringer you can keep your Biggest Red Devil Alive at least try too,,, And I will help certify any State or Even World records. Or even better yet I have a pond to keep them,, And I will try to sell them for you Splitting the money if sold...... SO Starting time 8am, to get parking spots early,,, late arrivals just meet me out their,,,,, And Weigh in will be on Kemoo Island 2pm!!!! We can all beach up nicely their.. I'll be set up........ Also, everyone will be getting a pack my version of a senko The Big Stick from Filthyfishermen Bait Co for partisipating. Also if Marcus and I can get them done, I want to give everyone in the tourney, plastic nymph's and stinger's from FF Bait Co.. I think they could clean up the RD"s..... Any questions or thoughts are greatly apprechiated..
Last edited by Filthyfisherman on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:24 pm

So the winner of the most weight or most Red Devils wins the tournament? Also, does the winner get all the money from the entry fee's and the optional big fish pot goes to whoever catches the biggest fish?

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:00 pm

The Most fish win's the tourney.... And the lunker pool goes to the Biggest Red Devil.. I made the correction above...

TheAlohaBoy
bass level

Postby TheAlohaBoy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:45 am

I would take them for my pond but I am off island to May 3. :-(

Return to “Fishing Reports”