hook in the hand!

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

hook in the hand!

Postby Ca_Bass » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:44 pm

So went out with my son today intending to go crappie fishing. We did that for a little while, missed a few fish and ended up catching 1 crappie. Then I get a call from my friend to fish points with a fluke....that was frustrating! Caught a few doing that but probably missed close to 15 fish...they just wouldn't hold on long enough! Should have rigged up a trebel stinger that I recently read about in bassmaster but thought thought I was just getting unlucky.

Ended up catching 12 or so on a bunch of different presentations...even caught a few on the alabama rig.

So two of my friends had a little two man show down. Right before we were about to head home my son (who is almost 4) says he wants to go to the tournament and show everybody how many fish we caught. So I ask my friends where they're weighing their fish and we head over. So we watch them weigh and let our fish go, and I go to put my measuring board away and BAM! Trebel hook fully imbeded into my finger. There was no way it was just gonna pull out...so my buddy cuts the split ring from the LC gunfish. went back to the ramp, load the boat up, drop it off at the storage place head home to drop my son off, go to the ER and 4 hours later the doctor takes the hook out with a gerber multi tool :)

Pretty good day up until the hook in the hand.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:56 pm

:(
OUCH
That's why I bend down the barbs on ALL the hooks.
Even the ones on all the lures.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:26 pm

This is right out of the Boy Scout Fishing Merit Badge booklet.
I've seen both methods used and the one with the string worked quick and easy.
Like I said, I bend down the barbs on all my hooks.
That makes it really easy.
:D

KIA68
master baiter level

Postby KIA68 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:03 pm

I have a great story for you! One day me and two friends were fishing behind Wahaiwa inter from shore. Got my lure (jerk bait i think) stuck on a small piece of grass just below the surface...After numerous attempts to yank that sucker out, she stayed hung up..I got closer to take a look if I could reach it, no luck. I gave it one more final tug and WAMMMmm, she came out...right into the side of my face!! One treble hook stuck in my lip and the other hook lodged fully in my cheek area!! The wired thing is it didn't hurt, it stuck in my face like it was a stick of butter...Loaded up all our stuff and headed to the ER when I remembered I was between jobs and had no insurance.....decided to go home and see if I could take it out my self...Got the one out of my lip rather easy..then the one in my cheek took some time..I had to cut off the ring part of the hooks and then had to pop each of the three hooks all the way through my cheek. They all came out and healed up nicely...So I guess the only good thing about my story is I didn't have to sit in an ER for 4 hours and It cost me nothing...I won’t be trying to yank out a cheap lure anymore.. :oops:

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:59 pm

I wish I could have taken it out myself. It was stuck in my right hand and I'm right handed for one. The other issue was it was almost in the center of finger where the bone is and went straight down where the barb was pointing to the bottom of my finger. It definitely wasn't coming out the way it went in without causing some serious damage. The other issue was since it was a treble, the two other barbs kept it from pushing through easily. When it went in and while I was waiting it didn't hurt surprisingly like KIA68 said. They numbed me up before they took it out and I didn't feel a thing! I can't imagine it without it being numb it took a lot of work to get it out. The outside of my finger was so close to the actual shank that the doc had a really hard time pushing it through. Once the barb was out all he could do was smash it down and pull it out the way it came.

This was almost a week ago and my finger hasn't regained it's feeling. As soon as I find my camera cord I will post the pic!
Last edited by Ca_Bass on Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:36 pm

"Hook in the hand beats two in the bush". I don't think so. Heal quickly.
I had a friend get a large 10/0 hook stuck through his foot when someone gaffed and swung around a green Mahimahi into the boat with a double hook rigged lure in it's mouth. The flailing Mahi got one hook into friend's foot in thickest part so required surgery and two weeks to recover. :shock: :roll:
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:27 am

Here's the pic

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:55 pm

:roll:
And you people laugh at me when I...
1. Net the fish
2. Grab the bottom lip with a BogaGrip
3. Use the Loooong Nose pliers to remove the hook
(that's a hook or lure that I've already bent the barbs down on all the hooks)

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:57 pm

There was no fish involved with this accident. Infact nobody even had a rod in their hand. That rod was actually strapped down on the front deck. I keep my measuring board out and and handy and I also put it under the rod strap. When I slide it underneath the strap and that's how it got me. I was moving quickly because I was trying to keep my boat from driffting into some rocks.

Return to “Fishing Reports”