CATFISH AND HELLO TO EVERYONE

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

TheAlohaBoy
bass level

CATFISH AND HELLO TO EVERYONE

Postby TheAlohaBoy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:31 am

Aloha Everyone.

I just joined the forum. This is my first post. After fishing from the boat lauch after a month now, I have been hooked on fishing at Lake Wilson.

I am sure being new to the Lake itself but not to fishing, I have learned alot from ppl who I met and talked with at the lake.

I am sure some of you seen me fishing from shore as I seen may ppl repeatly coming in from the lake on boats.

I must thank everyone who helped me. Today we took our boat out on the lake the first time. Was so excited to see all the fish. Only went to the dam part. Didnt realize it switch back even further.

I am looking to catch catfish and kois for my pond. Any one have any suggestions on Bait and where to fish. I tried bread for the kois and carps. But thast from shore, how about from boat?

Thanks

PS: To the guy I see all the time with fishing with a Black Lab dog on a boat. Your dog is soo cool.

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:27 am

Thanks man... Dog's name is MANU!!! Full out WATER DOG!!!!! Catfish? Well,, I haven't targeted them, but I will catch a few on plastic's as I fish for Bass... Yesterday I caught one on a Tube... But in the super market the other day I saw Chicken Livers for sale! This would be your best bet!!! On a carolina set up or live bait rig! Or just live bait Cut!!! Hope this helps.. See ya out there!

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:51 am

Believe it or not both catfish and carp LOVE SPAM! Peanut butter on white bread works great too. Nice scent trails from both due to their delicious fat content. :wink:

My biggest catfish have been caught in the deepest parts of the lake.
My biggest carp was caught at the pilings on the North Fork on a Rattl' Trap while trolling for bass... go figure. Second largest was caught off the point just west of the ramp where the old wood trestle used to be on peanut butter sandwich. :D
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:27 am

For catfish, I'd suggest cutting, not tearing, chicken livers on a #6 or #4 hook.Right after these rains subside, go to either bridge or any area where runoff goes into the lake. The catfish will target these areas looking for food washed into the lake by the runoff.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:03 pm

I got a pretty good way for fishing with chicken liver.

1st get a little snap clasp, not swivel just the plain little clasp.
2nd get a piece of liver and push the clasp through the middle of it and slide it up the line a bit
3rd attatch the clasp to a tebel hook and let the liver slide down on to the tebel.

It really helps keep the liver from flying off the hook when you cast.

And lastly......get one or two extra tubs of liver and find a place where there is a point that "points" into a little cove or a channel swing(there are a few good spots past the dam and blue boat point and before you get to morgans point that i I know of, and it seems like you can probabbly catch them all over the lake) anchor or tie off to the bank. Cast your baited hook then toss out a few smaller pieces of liver every 10 mins or so and within and hour(maybe longer depending on current) you could possibly be catching catfish everytime you drop your bait.

And if you're brave enough to eat em I've heard they taste much better if keep them in a kiddy pool or something and change the water out everyday for a week.

TheAlohaBoy
bass level

Postby TheAlohaBoy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:16 pm

Oh thanks for all the awesome tips.

I will be out that way again after all this nasty rain past.

I caught a catfish but didnt eat him. Its in my pond. Swiming around happily. Trying to be a guinea pig... I put bread in, ate it, shrimp, loved it. Hot dogs tooks a little longer to get eaten, Just tried spam, yup, ate it, will try liver and peanut butter.

THANKS for everyones help.

Return to “Fishing Reports”