Clean Sweep Fly

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Clean Sweep Fly

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:36 am

Clean Sweep Fly

A "clean sweep" is when you catch one of each of the 4 "flag" fish in one days fishing. Marlin, Ahi, Ono, & Mahi-mahi.... When returning to port you fly the 4 fish flags and the gold broom on the light blue background... Clean Sweep Flag.

On Lake Wilson we have talked about what a clean sweep should be.....
Catching a peacock bass, a largemouth bass, and a red devil for instance.???
We also catch smallmouth bass, bluegill, catfish, oscar, and punji. (I've come to believe that there are 3 species of red devil in the lake.)

So. What should we consider as a catch significant enough to be called a "clean sweep"?

Now about the fly. Dana Dipaolo from Wakefield, Mass. was catching peacock bass on this little fly when hardly anything else worked. He promised to send me some fish pictures... (I was using his camera.)

I showed the fly that Dana gave me to Clay, over at the Nervous Water Fly Shop, and he started tying them.... Clay tried different colors... Gold, Green, Rainbow, and now the colors you see in the picture.

Last week he started calling it the Clean Sweep Fly, when in one day, they caught all the above mentioned fish, except for the punji. ( I left a little after noon, so they might have caught one of them later in the day.)

I'm not sure what we should consider as a Clean Sweep.... but what ever species of fish are included.... The "Clean Sweep Fly" will catch them.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

clay
angler level

clean sweep fly

Postby clay » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:38 pm

we caught largemouths, peacocks, red, white, and black devils, two channel cats, bluegills, and an oscar that day... just got the pics from my buddy will post them. don't know if that's an official grand slam but it was one of the better multi-species days i've had out there. we usually go with the largemouth, peacock, and red devil as the grand slam and just add on other species like grandslam plus one. so i would call that day grandslam plus three.

that was actually the first time that i tried the fly with that color (grey olive crystal chenille). i didn't tell my oregon buds that it was the first time, but it worked. the original multicolor tinsel chenille and gold tinsel chenille also work. there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the cone and the bead head. :wink:

clay.
Nervous Water Fly Fishers
3434 Waialae Ave.
Honolulu, HI 96816
(808)734-7359
www.nervouswaterhawaii.com

Return to “General Discussion”