Peacock Bass Flys

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Peacock Bass Flys

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:20 pm

The other day someone ask what kind of flys to bring to Hawaii for peacock bass. I visited Sean down at Nervous Water fly shop and he showed me some stuff that Clay and the guys had tied.

These repersent little fish. Peacock bass feed mostly on small fish so I guess anything that looks or acts like a fish will work just fine.

Topwater fishing is always fun and exciting. When they are schooling, peacock bass just love a topwater. Again, see how they look like small fish.

Notice the small size and big weighted eyes. These flys can be fished shallow and fast... or deep and slow using a sinking, or sinking tip line.
My favorite colors are white, or pink, or yellow, or.... well the fish don't seem to care once they are feeding.

Most of the time the fish cruise the shore line, so we do a lot of casting right against the grass and logs on the shore. These flyes are tied so the hook rides up making it a little more weedless. The White streamer with the read throat is tied on a "keel hook"... it's much more weedless.

The shad and small tropical fish (we probably have more tropical fish in the lake than in most Pet Stores :roll: ) are on the small size. Our peacock bass average just over 2 pounds.... So we seem to catch a lot more fish on smaller flys. But that doesn't mean they won't take a larger fly. :D Also note that these flys are tied on bass "worm" hooks. They have proven rather weedless too.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:29 pm

Hi Stan.

The photos look good to me. I guess you could just label them as a small selection of local peacock bass flies tied by local tyers. You could note the small size and bright colors. You could also mention that poppers and surface flies work best on schooling busting fish, the sinking flies on structure oriented fish. The sinking flies also often work better when fished on a sinking line. Hope that helps. Thanks and take care,

Sean
Nervous Water Fly Fishers
3434 Waialae Ave.
Honolulu, Hawaii 96816
(808) 734-7359
www.nervouswaterhawaii.com

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:43 pm

Awesome flies Sean! Hey Stan, is that calf tail (kiptail) used in the streamers in the 3rd picture? Looks a little more kinked and thinner diameter than bucktail.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:00 pm

I think it is calf tail... but you have to ask Sean,

clay
angler level

flies

Postby clay » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:09 pm

yes that is calftail.

hook: tiemco 8089 sz. 12
eyes: real eyes plus 5/32