Ahh... an intro and some questions

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

JChen
master baiter level

Ahh... an intro and some questions

Postby JChen » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:06 pm

Hello,

Name's John, I've been stationed over in Kbay for about 2 years now.

Always been a fisherman, did plenty of bass fishing back in my home state (Cali). Finally got a pair to try fishing here.

I've always wondered about fishing the canal by the ala moana strip. Planning to go to Lake Wilson this weekend for a day. I've read a couple older threads, any new tips on a moderate chance of success at either location? Will be only fishing from the shore in the mean time, sadly...

Also whats the best place on island to find freshwater fishing gear?

Any and all help is mucho appreciated.

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:25 pm

Aloha John, Welcome to the forum. Not to change the subject but have you tried fishing at the "T" pier on base? Arguably the best Papio whipping spot on Oahu.
Wahiawa Sporting Goods has a decent selection of freshwater lures and also earth worms for bait. I usually buy online from Cabela's or BassPro though just as an FYI Cabela's ships much quicker to Hawaii than BassPro but some things only BassPro carries so I shop at both.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

JChen
master baiter level

Postby JChen » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:43 pm

I havent tried, but I have watched a older couple fish there, they caught some with a VERY blue coloration. I also noticed they were using light tackle, all of what I have is medium to medium-heavy. I am unfamiliar with the term "whipping."

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:05 am

JChen wrote:I havent tried, but I have watched a older couple fish there, they caught some with a VERY blue coloration. I also noticed they were using light tackle, all of what I have is medium to medium-heavy. I am unfamiliar with the term "whipping."

I bet what you saw were Omilu or Blue Trevally:
I would prefer meduim or heavier tackle at "T"Pier, there are LARGE Omilu, Kahala, and Ulua there many caught on large topwater poppers.
"T" Pier is the one across the runway just left of Halekoa Beach, and not to be confused with the Fuel Pier located next to the small boat harbor.

Here's an explanation of "whipping" from a young friend Nic Barca:
http://www.geocities.com/nicolaibarcahu ... pping.html

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:20 am

JChen, an excellent forum for Hawaii Fishing can be found here http://www.ulua-fishing.com/forum/index.php (formerly hanapaa.com)
You can pick up some really good tips on this site. Good luck and tightlines.
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

wahiawa sporting goods

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:47 am

Uncle, Wahiawa sporting goods has been closed for awhile. I do not know when or if they will open again.

JChen
master baiter level

Postby JChen » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:10 pm

Then that would be a no, I have no tried to fish near the "T" pier by the halekoa beach area across the flightline. Beach is usually busy near there. Actually more interested in fishing for freshwater fish such as smallmouth, bass in general. "whipping" sounds like I can cover a lot of water in a short time.

Does anyone know if you can catch and release below the Hoomaluhia Botanicals in the creek/spillway area?

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:43 am

ARGH, Bummer about Wahiawa Sporting Goods being closed, it was a cool old store with the same two guys working there forever, and their stale sense of humor. I've been gone on Maui the over 12 years and the last time I was in that store was 4 years ago before a day trip to Lake while visiting my now deceased parents.

The area below the dam in the spillway is totally off limits and marked by numerous signs i'm guessing for liability reasons. I used to go catch my live bait there until one day the Ho'omaluhia Ranger came down and told me I couldn't be there. I catch bait elsewhere now. The only fish I saw there besides the Medaka were tons of various Cichlids, and a few Channel Cats, didn't see any Bass though it don't mean they're not there.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:51 am

For saltwater lures, try Nanko's in Kaneohe. Ask Mike to show you his X=Mas island pictures and help you get started.
When I first started fishing in Hawaii it was very difficult for me because it seemed every fish had a different way of catching it.

There are some good books out there that will make learning about fishing in Hawaii much easier.

Books by Jim Rizzuto and by Mike Sakamoto.

I think you need a "fishing permit" fo fish at the Marine base, but that's no problem if your stationed there.

Next is to figure out what kind of fishing you want to do and get started.
Just about any place you walk the shoreling is good fishing. Ocean side or in the bay should have lots of papio this time of year.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

JChen
master baiter level

Postby JChen » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:32 pm

I went out to Wilson today. Sadly didn't catch anything but I did enjoy seeing an old timer catch a largemouth in the 10 to 12in range, by the boat ramp. I plan to try again tomorrow

Mr. Wright, I want to mostly fish freshwater. Lake wilson from what I saw today, looks awesome and even challenging.

JChen
master baiter level

Postby JChen » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:32 pm

Thank you again Stan for taking my friend and I for a little tour of the lake, definately learned a lot. *sigh* the image of the four still play in my mind.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:26 pm

Well, you got that "challenge" part right.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
We'll have to go again when the fish are biting.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:31 am

JChen wrote:Thank you again Stan for taking my friend and I for a little tour of the lake, definately learned a lot. *sigh* the image of the four still play in my mind.

Nice meeting you at the ramp. Sorry I was in such a rush and didnt get to talk longer.

JChen
master baiter level

Postby JChen » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:51 am

Lrry93 wrote:
JChen wrote:Thank you again Stan for taking my friend and I for a little tour of the lake, definately learned a lot. *sigh* the image of the four still play in my mind.

Nice meeting you at the ramp. Sorry I was in such a rush and didnt get to talk longer.

No problemo bro. Having a boat definately helps A LOT.

Going to try and go again this weekend, both Sat and Sun.

Stan, what size hooks were those off-sets? 2/0 or 3/0?

OahuDave
bass level

Postby OahuDave » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:52 pm

John,

I live right near Wilson and have never made it out there. Sorry if you posted this, but are you in a boat or were you just on the shore? I'd really like to get out there one of these days. I am more into kayak fishing out in the ocean lately, but have been meaning to get onto Wilson. Post up if you are heading out there.

Later,
Dave
Nana ka maka; ho`olohe ka pepeiao; pa`a ka waha.

Return to “General Discussion”