how to catch red devils? Where?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Boatless
King Sushi level

how to catch red devils? Where?

Postby Boatless » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:14 pm

I'm sure all of you have your secrets but some generic info would be helpful for this rookie! I see many of these guys on the banks but they dont even flinch @ my bait.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:03 pm

Think "small" and 'slow".
Today we caught on earth worms. Just like bluegill fishing.

In the afternoon they were hitting small crappy jigs. Also caught on small Rappalas. Gold and also on blue/silver. Slow retreave.

Clay from Nervous Water fly shop likes to use a fly rod and small nympths..... trout flys. I like a small white streamer. A Crazy Charlie works good.

Some of the Red devils today ran away if you cast within 10 feet of them. Others ignored every thing, even if you hit them in the head. I liked the ones that fight over your lure or fly if you get within 5 feet of them.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:23 am

Thanks for all that info Stan! Now I have to do some research on what bluegill fishing is!!! Do you know if the devils are cichlids? is so, what species?

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:10 am

It might sound odd, but I catch quite a few red devils on big red/orange deep diving crankbaits I think they're hitting it out of aggression rather than hunger though, catch most of my largemouth on those same crankbaits too.

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:52 am

Hmmmm. I just happen to have one thats red/orange think I'll try it.

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:33 pm

In my experiences, I have caught quite a few devils on lipless crankbaits - Rattle traps and several "off-brand" cheapies - normally chrome and shad colored. Plus, about all of them I do catch on the lures are normally real whoppers that clobber it when I'm burning it fast for the tucs. So, maybe it is out of aggression and just a reaction strike. I've also caught some on 2" sassy shads rigged on a lead head jig fished pretty slow. :roll:
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:43 pm

During the tournament last Saturday I was thought the fish had possible gone deep during mid day, so I started throwing a deep diving crankbait(Shad) all I caught was a large red devil. As usual when throwing crankbaits I had a bunch follow up to the boat.

Modest_Man
bass level

Postby Modest_Man » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:36 pm

Boatless wrote:Thanks for all that info Stan! Now I have to do some research on what bluegill fishing is!!! Do you know if the devils are cichlids? is so, what species?

Little late but their scientific name is amphilophus labiatus. From Lake Nicaragua in Central America.

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:22 pm

Modest thanks for the info. Always good to know the scientific name to pinpoint the exact species.

Return to “General Discussion”