Going Tuc fishing this weekend!

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Going Tuc fishing this weekend!

Postby kahuna bass » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:50 am

Greetings All,

Finishing off some work here in Japan, flying out Friday to the islands, should be ready for some Tuc fishing Saturday morning!!

Haven't fished Lake Wilson since I was stationed at Barbers Point, back in 1985, looking for some tips, to increase catch rate! I rememeber the good ole days. Tuc fishing back in the early 80's was awesome!

I've spent most of the past years fishing Large Mouth bass in Southern California or fishing Long Range on "the Ridge" in lower Baja Mexico. But still haven't forgot the excitement of Tuc fishing in Hawaii!

Don't want to miss out, I sure can use some help with the following questions:

Any luck with wake baits (Lucky Craft Sammy's, Team Diawa Pencil's, etc)?

How about poppers(T.D. poppers, Megabass poppers, etc)?

I see where shallow running crank baits(Pin's minnow, etc) work, should I just stick with that style of baits?

Looking forward to some long awaitted Tuc fish'n!!!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated....

Mel Fai- Kahuna Bass
Pro-staff coordinator
Hastings Rod Manufacturing
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:57 am

Greetings,

I just saw the section for "Lures and Fly's". Answered most of my questions.

If there are any additional tips, it would be greatly appreciated.

Kahuna bass

bsp
master baiter level

Postby bsp » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:23 am

Try bringing some 3in swimbaits. They would probably work very well with a fast retrieve.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:15 pm

BSP,

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'll try to pick some up here in Japan, before I leave today.

As a side note, I fish alot of swim baits for Large Mouth bass, back in Southern Cal. However, most of my swim baits are 6" to 12" long.

Kahuna bass

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:41 pm

Chris has been catching lots of small tukes this week..... mostly in the 1/2 to 2 pound range with a few 3 pounders.
He said they were biting anything small and white. :)

Today they caught on small 2 inch Senkos using 4# test line on ultra light spinning gear........ and small white streamer flys on the flyrod.

Aloha,
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:46 pm

Thanks Stan!

Looking forward to some tuc fishing. Might take a drive by Friday at noon to check out the lake. Can't wait to wet the line Saturday.

Just by chance, have you had much luck drop shotting for large mouth bass and Tucs?

Kahuna bass

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:55 pm

Some of the guys we've fished with have tried.... a few bass. More often a red devil. :lol:

Chris has a trip tomorrow and should finish up around 1:00 or 1:30.
I was thinking of meeting him there...... taking the boat and scouting around for an hour or so. (he has to go to work)
Might be a good time to visit the lake and see how they did.
Stan

bsp
master baiter level

Postby bsp » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:50 am

kahuna bass: I fish with swimbaits for bass in So Cal alot too. My favorites are big wakebaits like M.S. Slammer's. The big Japanese twitch baits like Jackall's 180 also work well. If you want to try a dropshot try fishing it very quickly with a light weight and a 3in soft plastic jerkbait. Don't forget to try the Ala Wai for barracuda as well. Have a good trip!

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:25 pm

Stan and BSP,

Thanks for the info.

Swim baits are the way to go, for the big girls. I still haven't cracked the 10lb mark yet (biggest 9-4), but the wife has caught a couple over 10lbs, largest almost 12lbs (Senko's and frog bait).

Most of my big fish's have come off different wake baits, Matt Lures Blue gill swim bait and huddleston trout(s). Hardest part of swim bait fishing, sometimes you can be out all day, and not get a single bite or follow. If your lucky, you may get that one bite, may be two! Its all about the wait-----and wait------and wait------than BAM, your on!

Matter of fact, I just picked up the new Javallon Hard swim bait and a couple Ito Fish Arrow Monster Jacks. It works out nicely, that I'm in Japan 5-8 times a year.

Hope to meet you guys on the water one of these trips.

Kahuna bass

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

tuc fishing

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:10 pm

Howzit Kahuna bass? Since you seemed to have had success in the past, you should still be successful now if you use the same techinques and lures. My friend is stuck in the past. He still fishes the same way he did back in the day. He still can kick some tail.

As far as the lures posted in the lures and fly section, I would stay away from the spinnerbaits for peacockbass. They do work well in some situtations, but you can do way better with some of the other lures.

I have fished in the 80's also, therefore it will interesting to see what kind of experience you will have. Sorry, can not give you any tips because I really haven't up to the lake lately. Good luck!

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:48 pm

Thanks for tip about spinner baits. Might work well for Large mouths bass tight to the weededges.

I'll be walking the shoreline in the morning, I did notice today, that access is still very limited.

Saw a few tucs this mornining, active on shad, but saw very few up close to shore. :(

By the way, are fishing tubes and waders allowed? If they are, i'll bring some out next month!

Thanks again.

Kahuna bass

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:09 am

Welcome back to Hawaii and good luck fishing today! Did you purchase any JDM casting rods and reels there? I have a few scorpions and a Daiwa Pixy, but nothing too fancy. I haven't fished in almost 2 months and I get my fix by reading everyone's reports here. Some of those big swimbaits you use in Cali. would probably scare our puny bass here! Oh, and thanks for using "tuc" instead of "tuke". How refreshing! :lol:
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

bsp
master baiter level

Postby bsp » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:08 am

kahuna bass: You found a Javallon Hard :shock: I have been looking for one after I saw how the soft swims. I am positive that you are allowed to float tube, so you should try it out. On a side note have you ever tried either the 1-Up or the Wake Jr by 3:16 lures?

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:09 am

Thanks Skunked & BSP,

Buying tackle in Japan is awesome. I usally shop at Tackle Berry, a chain of second hand tackle stores. Most of the time, the reels that are sold as second hand, are near flawless, if that. Bought an Antres for 120.00, Concuest 300 for 200.00 and Metiunum MG w/graphte tricked handle for 200.00 a few trips back. Scorpion reels are great. Sounds like you have an excellent selection yourself. :wink:

As for 3:16 baits, Micky makes outstanding baits, I usally fish his mission fish baits. As for wake baits, I fish more Rago baits, BBZ and various baits from Japan.

I'll make sure to stick with the smaller baits here, some of my 10"-12" would scare off the fish :shock:

Was planning to fish this morning, but got stuck with some last minute work, maybe later this afternoon. :cry:

Hey, its Hawaii, just can't beat the weather and all it offers :D

Kahuna bass

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:55 pm

Float tubes.... That's how Sakamoto and I started fishing for bass here 40 years ago.

Nothing as exciting as hooking into a 5 pound punji while sitting in your belly boat. Sharp teeth, 5 foot rod and No net. After the bass guys stopped laughing they came over with a net to help me out.

Starting to see more kayaks too.

Return to “General Discussion”