Any use top water frogs like this for peacock bass?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Alohabob
bait level

Any use top water frogs like this for peacock bass?

Postby Alohabob » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:33 am

I've done a bit of fishing in Kauai for peacock bass in the past but I've never tried with topwater lures like frogs.

I just got this at the Walmart in Honalulu. I'm not sure if it will work, but I'm looking forward to trying it out.

ANyone ever use topwater frogs to catch peacock bass?

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:25 pm

Frogs seem to be effective only when the water is high enough to flood the grass, so I rarely use them. I've only heard of largemouth hitting the frogs. A torpedo or 2" white Senko may be a better choice for peacock on topwater.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:05 pm

wow thats a great looking frog bait, walmart hmmmm? ya ive used kermit alot and despite rojas insisting its an all around lure and even better in open water id have to say not in my experience. never caught a peacock on one although you just never know, but they do work great when the bass are in the deep submerged weeds. just miss alot too though, always pays to have a backup bait if they miss like a senko or yum dinger.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:37 pm

i have caught tucs on the zoom horny toads but not the softbodies. if you get your casts right they will smash em in the laydowns. Tricks is to get the frog to run parralel along a branch rubbing the side. Or run it right across the tops of the limbs that are barely sticking out of the water...the more you can get to bump wood the more strikes you'll get. throw them on 30lb+ braid and get it as far back in the sticks as possible. I bet they will catch some good fish is you stick with em and if you kkeep your pace fast for the tucs. i used to throw large topwater in open water and big tucs will come and smash em.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:23 pm

I would never have thought you could catch tucs on a frog, but if Ca_Bass says you can catch on them, you can catch on them. I remember seeing one tuc caught on a frog during an episode of Hawaii goes Fishing. Good luck!

jossyturner
bait level

Postby jossyturner » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:01 pm

the food for the peacock bass are food like frog ,meat or liver. I have not tried it but I believe it can work.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:17 pm

I bet if it was moving fast enough they would hit it... really fast. :lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

drcray
bass level

Postby drcray » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:23 pm

I have caught them on frogs, heddon zara spooks, heddon tiny torpedos, walking dogs, and some other mirro lure prop lures. This was in Florida though. I haven't caught one in hawaii yet.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:41 pm

Sounds like you're on the right track drcray. I've caught peacocks here on spooks and tiny torpedoes as well, so it's not the lure, its the fish being finicky.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Return to “General Discussion”