main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Tinalex
minnow level

Questions Lake Wilson

Postby Tinalex » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:40 am

Hello

My name is Alex.
I am an exchange student from Germany. I want to fish at Lake Wilson. The problem is: I do not have a car to transport a kayak or a belly boat.
Is there a possibility to rent a boat at lake wilson?Is it possible to fish from the shore?
Thank you

AleX

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:07 pm

You can fish from shore from a few different places. Google Wahiawa Freshwater Park for a map. You'll also need a fishing license and Freshwater Park entry permit. Both can be bought at the Mililani Walmart or Waikele Sports Authority for only $5.00. They may also be purchased online. There are no boat rental companies at Lake Wilson though.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Tinalex
minnow level

Postby Tinalex » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:42 pm

Thanks for your answer.
Are there any altern. to Lake Wilson on Oahu? Whats up with waokele pond, ka'elepulu pond or the lake in kawainui regional park and the small channels and creeks near there.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:26 pm

I can't say since I've never fished any of them. Access may be harder for the small hidden ponds in the mountains. Lake Wilson is about 350 acres in size.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:01 am

Tinalex wrote:Thanks for your answer.
Are there any altern. to Lake Wilson on Oahu? Whats up with waokele pond, ka'elepulu pond or the lake in kawainui regional park and the small channels and creeks near there.

Waokele Pond at Hoomaluhia Park is open to fishing on weekends I believe from 10 am to 4 pm. I would pay for a $5 fishing license even though the county does not require it at this location. Catch and release only and the main species is Red Devil. Back in 2000 there were no Red Devils, and the Smallmouth Bass fishing was great but not any more.

Kaelepulu Pond private with no access to the public. I used to fish in there when I had money to pay the association fees ($175 annually) and the pond still had fish. Algae bloom combined with overfishing has reduced the pond into a smelly body of water full of dead seaweed and dead fish. Very sad.

Kawainui Marsh is a wildlife refuge and totally off limits to entry and fishing. Your gear will be confiscated, and will be cited with risk of arrest. The DLNR Kailua baseyard is right on the edge of the marsh so always watched. In the good old days when it was still leased to a cattle rancher the fishing in those ponds was great for smallmouth bass, catfish, and carp. Now the waters are off limits but they are also overrun with cichlid released by irresponsible aquarium fish owner who got to lazy to take care of their fish so dumped them.

Lake Wilson your best bet for fun fishing. Waokele is cane pole only, and bread for bait so fun for kids but gets boring for adults quick.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Tinalex
minnow level

Postby Tinalex » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:52 am

Does anyone know if it is allowed to take rods in the public transportation system "the bus"...if not I have a really big problem....I am gonna live in Waikiki and need to go north up to lake wilson by bus because I have no car!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:14 pm

As long as it's not an 8' one piece hitting other passengers, I think you should be OK, especially if you break it down and put it in a tube. 8)

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:29 pm

You're in Waikiki? The Ala Wai Canal can get some fun action fishing for papio and barracuda though I wouldn't eat anything caught in there.
Also the outside flats beyond the breakwater at the Ala Wai Boat Harbor has great fishing for Bonefish (aka O'io).
The UH Quarry Pond has the State record Pacu still swimming around in it if you can sneak in and fish it. :wink:
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Tinalex
minnow level

Postby Tinalex » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:27 pm

Is it allowed to fish in the UH Quarry Pond?Sounds nice!

shanai
King Sushi level

Postby shanai » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:43 pm

Fishing is not allowed in the UH quarry pond ( so fish at your own risk ) but since your'e in Waikiki, you could always fish the Ala Wai as Ahnkochee suggested. This is one of the secret spots that the anykine anglers fish. May not have bass but catching papio and kaku can be fun.

see post below

http://www.hawaiibassfishing.com/forum/ ... php?t=2749

I would recommend though that you practice CPR (catch-picture-release) on any fish caught out of the Ala Wai - may not be a good idea to eat anything out of there.

:D steve

Return to “General Discussion”