In Tulsa, Oklahoma for the Bassmasters Classic 2013

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

In Tulsa, Oklahoma for the Bassmasters Classic 2013

Postby kahuna bass » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:28 pm

Greetings All,

I'm here in Tulsa, Oklahoma, for the Bassmasters Classic! I'm with my rod company, Phenix Rods, for the first time and can't wait to get the show started.

Current conditions are horrible and its unknown how its going to act upon the bass fishing. Just got done with dinner an hour ago, and its like in the 20's (brisk ice cold wind conditions).

I had the chance to walk into the arena today, and its set up like any all-star event. I was told that its expected that all arena seats will be sold out for the Sunday's festival.

My plans are to shoot pictures of the Expo events, and hopefully Sunday as well.

I will keep you posted with daily events.

Mel - Kahuna bass
Da Kind Bassmasters wanta-be! 8)
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:02 pm

:D

Mel, are you going to be able to post some pictures here, or is there a Facebook Page your posting on that we could visit?
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Struggles2Paddle
master baiter level

Postby Struggles2Paddle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:02 pm

thought this was Vince (Borges) for a second lol! looking forward to the pictures!

Does anyone else on the island use phenix rods? Love my new recon rod for pitching!
All day I dream about fishing

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:58 pm

No but I was looking at the selection of rods they have. They look really nice! I was looking into a medium casting rod for spinnerbaits/ top water but was having trouble finding medium action rods through tackle warehouse? How do you like your phenix rod? I wonder if Uncle Mel can give us the islander discount :lol:
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught" -Unknown Author

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:49 pm

Hey All,

First day was insane. Crowds were at the doors early this morning, even though the doors to the general public was not open until noon.

Everyone comes out for the event. Most bass manufactures are here promoting and selling product, however, there's very little buying of product. Most show up for free t-shirt, key chain, sample bag of lures, etc.

Bass Pro's not fishing the Classic, line themselves up with their sponsors or wheel and deal for their next set of sponsors. Most of the major sponsors continue cut back sponsorships.

Even some of the legends have very limited sponsorships. We had a number of guys that were sponsored supported past years, are trying to get a free pass with our company(most with no knowledge of our product line).

Funny part, as soon as it was weigh time, it was like a ghost town, everyone was gone to the arena.

I will have pictures tomorrow, camera was missing a battery today.

By the way, Vince Borges is a good friend and also a partner with Phenix.

I hope to work with a local dealer soon to get in the Recon 2's and M1 rods.

Take care,

Mel - Kahuna bass

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:00 pm

Wow, I would have been like a kid in a candy store buying things! I would think that talking to the company it self and getting to learn about the product would be enough for people to want to buy. Hopefully I can make it out to a classic within the next couple of years. I'm all about learning about new products and such. I must say I'm pretty jealous of you right about now Mel! I look forward to watching tomorrows weigh-in!!

Struggles2Paddle
master baiter level

Postby Struggles2Paddle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:07 pm

that would be amazing to have some bass rods in a local store!
I really like phenix rods, they're ultra sensitive and super light! perfect for casting all day especially when paired up with a high quality reel.
All day I dream about fishing

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:11 pm

Classic came and went!

What an event. To see that many people come out and take part in the Bassmasters Classic was truly an eye opener.

Once again, traffic through the convention center was busy, but once it got close to weigh in, it was a mass exodus to the arena!! Its amazing how quickly it filled up.

Throughout the day, it was a picture bonanza with your favorite angler. Lines were long, but all seemed to take it in good stride. It was nice to see the cornerstone of the bass industry, Ray Scott, Jimmy Houston, to name a few, than you had the young bucks. Fishing at every level.

What was fun, was to count the number of sponsors on the anglers tournament shirts. The highest I got was 25 sponsors on one shirt. You name it, it was on there.

As with any classics, you see the deal's going on with angler and sponsor. You hear about the crazy money that is given to some of these anglers. But most I spoke with, mentioned that sponsor money is getting harder to come by. An number of companies have actually cut back and streamlined their pro-staff's.

One thing that was funny, was anglers would come into our Phenix booth and swear that they have fished our rods, but once you start talking, most had no ideal who "Phenix" was. They just wanted sponsorship.

Met up with a bunch of college bass anglers, bright and upcoming anglers with a true passion to fish! We were able to sign a number of college anglers to our Phenix pro-staff. They actually had some working knowledge of our rods!

I do have pictures, give me a couple days to get them down loaded.

By the way, I'm currently working with one of your local tackle stores to bring in the Recon 2 and M1 Bass rods. Should have more info in the coming weeks.

Pictures coming soon.

Mel - Kahuna bass

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:13 pm

Classic came and went!

What an event. To see that many people come out and take part in the Bassmasters Classic was truly an eye opener.

Once again, traffic through the convention center was busy, but once it got close to weigh in, it was a mass exodus to the arena!! Its amazing how quickly it filled up.

Throughout the day, it was a picture bonanza with your favorite angler. Lines were long, but all seemed to take it in good stride. It was nice to see the cornerstone of the bass industry, Ray Scott, Jimmy Houston, to name a few, than you had the young bucks. Fishing at every level.

What was fun, was to count the number of sponsors on the anglers tournament shirts. The highest I got was 25 sponsors on one shirt. You name it, it was on there.

As with any classics, you see the deal's going on with angler and sponsor. You hear about the crazy money that is given to some of these anglers. But most I spoke with, mentioned that sponsor money is getting harder to come by. An number of companies have actually cut back and streamlined their pro-staff's.

One thing that was funny, was anglers would come into our Phenix booth and swear that they have fished our rods, but once you start talking, most had no ideal who "Phenix" was. They just wanted sponsorship.

Met up with a bunch of college bass anglers, bright and upcoming anglers with a true passion to fish! We were able to sign a number of college anglers to our Phenix pro-staff. They actually had some working knowledge of our rods!

I do have pictures, give me a couple days to get them down loaded.

By the way, I'm currently working with one of your local tackle stores to bring in the Recon 2 and M1 Bass rods. Should have more info in the coming weeks.

Pictures coming soon.

Mel - Kahuna bass

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:38 am

I sure do hope you can get some rods on the shelves here locally. I took a chance with my Dobyns Champion Extremes just off the reviews on tackletour and got lucky because they are great, but I have also been burned a few times (Quantum Energy PT reel, Stradic Ci4, Cabelas Fish Eagle, Prodigy, and Mag Touch rods and many more). It can also go the other way. I read some nice reviews of the Skeet Reese Tessera rods when they first came out, so I was super disappointed when I got to hold them in-person at Cabela's. JUNK! That demonstrated to me the power of advertising and hype.
I've heard the Recons are awesome rods!
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:46 am

Hey Skunked,

I hope to have something in place in the coming weeks. Often enough, until you see the product up front, you never know what your getting.

By the way, I did see the Skeet Reese rods, Ducket rods and many others. Some like them, some hate them, I've always prefered the JDM look rods.

Here are some pic's from the Classic!

[img]

Stan's next truck and boat! Blue LED lights and speakers, he be jamming!

http://s22.postimage.org/4f25p1zrh/DSC01522.jpg[/img]

Your choice Stan!

Mel - Kahuna bass

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:36 pm

That's a good looking bass cat!

Next boat I get will be a Bass Cat or a Phoenix...possibly a ranger z520 if they get rid of this new console design they have for 2013's. Not a big fan of the console, but they are nice boats none the less. Wish i would have won that new Nitro Z8 at the open i fished :( second place never felt so bad! Could have traded in my 11 z8 and upgraded to a 2013 z9 fully loaded and then some!
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:35 pm

:shock:
Mel, are you selling rods.... or boats?
:lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:08 pm

Hey Mel,

I was wondering if you had an idea when some Phenix rods would be hitting some stores here in Hawaii. I had a rod break this past week and it gives me an excuse to try out a Phenix rod! :lol:

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:38 pm

Guys,

Still working out details with a local shop. Looking at M1 Nanotube rods and Recon2 bass rods. Should have both casting and spinning models.

This is the crazy time of year where sales are going off the charts and getting clients stocked up is an everyday challenge.

Stan - after checking out the boats at the Classic's, it sure makes me want to go out and get a new rig. However, wife has my man card, and she metioned that I travel too much right now. Maybe in a couple years, after all my other man toys are payed off 8)

Mel - Kahuna bas
Darkside live bait dude

Return to “General Discussion”