Float tubing Hawaii

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Ghoti
bait level

Float tubing Hawaii

Postby Ghoti » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:19 pm

I will be in Oahu April 26 - May 10th and will be bringing my float tube (belly boat). I would love suggestions for freshwater opportunities as well as safe shore access points to float and fish. Any information about things to avoid would also be appreciate. I just received my forum activation today and my prep time is short. If you could respond with information within the next day or two it would be greatly appreciated.
GHOTI = FISH
touGH + wOmen + naTIon

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:23 am

Give me a call when you get to Hawaii and we'll get you a map of the lake, or please feel free to copy the one on the web site. I'll try to point out some places for you to fish.
aloha,
Stan
352-6197
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Tubing Wilson

Postby FishinFrenzy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:54 pm

Aloha Ghoti,

I float tube Wilson as much as possible. It's an excellent small lake for tubing. I have several areas on the lake I put in at but my main areas are the boat ramp and right along the road across from Boy Scout island. Just pull off not far after the stoplight and 1st intersection to Schofield Barracks and park in the grass. It's fairly easy right now as the water level is down but it gets trickier when the water is higher but it's still do-able. Hopefully the fishing will pick up sometime when you are here . It's been pretty tough the last couple of weeks. Maybe we can go floating while you're here if I'm available. Give me a shout @ 808-927-2690.
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:40 am

I haven't tried fishing it from shore, but it's a good place to fish from a boat...
Take Exit #8 off H-2 and drive over the bridge. Stay in the left lane. Go through town and turn left on California Av. Now, follow it to the end.
Turn into a little dead end street called Malulu Place. There is a chain link fence with a gate leading out to that point of land accross from the dam. I understand it is state property and they are thinking of making it into another "fishing park". I doubt if that quiet neighborhood is very entrusted about that idea, but it's a perfect place. Looks like a good place to enter the water with a belly boat, then fish the south bank up stream on the north fork.

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:26 pm

Stan Wright wrote:I haven't tried fishing it from shore, but it's a good place to fish from a boat...
Take Exit #8 off H-2 and drive over the bridge. Stay in the left lane. Go through town and turn left on California Av. Now, follow it to the end.
Turn into a little dead end street called Malulu Place. There is a chain link fence with a gate leading out to that point of land accross from the dam. I understand it is state property and they are thinking of making it into another "fishing park". I doubt if that quiet neighborhood is very entrusted about that idea, but it's a perfect place. Looks like a good place to enter the water with a belly boat, then fish the south bank up stream on the north fork.

Hey Stan, does it seem safe to park your car there or does a person have to be overly worried about break-ins like a lot of other places on the island?? By the way, have you had any luck with the tucs lately?
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:46 pm

That's way back down in a residental area, I'm sure the car would be safe,

Fishing has been really tough lately. Cool water, low visibility, so you can't find the beds.

Ghoti
bait level

Busted Belly Boat Trip

Postby Ghoti » Sun May 20, 2007 8:09 pm

My plans to belly boat Lake Wilson ended up busted. I had ordered waders off ebay and had them sent to Hawaii. They were to go Priority mail but were sent surface and never arrived till yesterday. Well over a week after I returned back to SC. With so much "stuff" in the water I was worried that without waders I might get scratched and get it infected. I kept waiting and waiting for them to arrive and finally it was too late I had to leave.
While preparing to go out I did get to fish Lake Wilson twice. Once from shore at the boat launch and once with Stan. Stan took me out to show me some access points and I ended up catching 2 nice Tucs and a red devil.

Stan could you post the pics for me.
GHOTI = FISH

touGH + wOmen + naTIon

bsp
master baiter level

Postby bsp » Mon May 21, 2007 5:12 pm

Sorry to hear that, but at least you got to fish lake Wilson! This also gives you another reason to back next year.

Return to “General Discussion”