Need Help

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Need Help

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:30 am

Dean Sensui
I was at a hearing tonight regarding proposed regulations on aquarium fish collectors. Bag limits and gear restrictions were spelled out.

The first 5 or 6 people testifying were clearly against the regulations. Not because they wanted the fishery wide open. They want it shut down. To put it precisely, they want to stop anyone from taking fish out of our waters.

Not just aquarium fish. ALL fish.

This included "Snorkel" Bob, Keiko Bonk, representatives from Sea Shepherd, PITA, Earth Justice and the Center for Biological Diversity.

So an alert to all our fishing friends: Please support the fight the aquarium collection businesses face in an upcoming lawsuit.

During the hearing a couple of marine biologists talked about how having an aquarium inspired them to take up a career in marine biology. Dr. Andrew Rossiter of the Waikiki Aquarium said it is a powerful educational tool for the next generation.

And as one said during the hearing, it doesn't matter if fish are being taken as food or as pets. It's still taking fish from the sea. And that's what these people want to stop. We're no different from the folks who provide fish for expensive glass tanks.

If well-funded special interests can stop a small group from catching fish for aquariums, it's just a small step to stopping everyone from catching fish at all.

Let's all take this seriously. It's an assault against an important way of life. And puts at risk of our islands' food security.

Thanks Dean,
Aloha,
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:41 am

Normally, I'd just laugh this off as a bunch of lolo's yacking away, but I've seen first hand how they can pull the wool over our legislature's eyes, especially if no one speaks up and opposes their totally wacky opinion. Crazy stuff can happen!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:03 pm

Sea Shepard and PETA a bunch of self-righteous eco-terrorist hippies, love to hate them. :x
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

blast from the past
bass level

The interest group is clearly on one extreme

Postby blast from the past » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:27 am

Presentations such as "catch nothing, take nothing" are obviously extreme.

1. No fishing licenses to bring in revenue for the State of Hawaii.
2. A marked decline percentage in tourism due to the interest in island angling.
3. The removal of an enormously active (economically) recreational activity.
4. The loss of many jobs indirectly associated and connected to angling.
5. Decline of sales by small and major sporting goods retailers.
.....etc, Shall I go on?

TheAlohaBoy
bass level

Postby TheAlohaBoy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:09 pm

So what I think you're saying is... No fishing, no eating fish, don't take fish... just pour molasses into ocean and look at them.

Struggles2Paddle
master baiter level

Postby Struggles2Paddle » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:09 am

Ahnkochee wrote:Sea Shepard and PETA a bunch of self-righteous eco-terrorist hippies, love to hate them. :x

I second that
All day I dream about fishing

Return to “General Discussion”