Alabama rig

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Struggles2Paddle
master baiter level

Alabama rig

Postby Struggles2Paddle » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:42 pm

So whats the deal with the Bama rig? Do people use it here and are they even legal to use? After seeing the schooling action it looks like the bama rig would be ideal to use.
All day I dream about fishing

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:17 pm

I've seen people use them but they are illegal. Ive actually thrown an A-rig, before I read the law, they don't work that great on Lake Wilson anyways. The reward isnt worth the risk if you ask me. This is the actual state law:

§13-62-4 Permitted activities. (a) A person may, with a valid fishing license, fishing permit or group fishing permit, in addition to any entry permit, the Wahiawa Special Entry Permit, or the Wahiawa Fishing Tournament Permit, if required, while within the Wahiawa public fishing area:
(1) Fishwithhook-and-line using one lure,one baited hook, or two artificial flies attached to a single line, provided:(A) On weekends and holidays,any person
shall not use more than one line; and (B) Onweekdays,anypersonshallnotuse
more than two lines;

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:49 am

:?

Isn't the Alabama rig just a big lure with 5 hooks?

:twisted:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:36 pm

I guess technically the A-rig could be considered 1 lure but there's a grey area when you put the other "lures" on it. Maybe someone should ask the state and get clarity on the issue

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:57 pm

I interpret the A-rig as a device that holds multiple lures, making it illegal. I can see the arguement that the entire unit is one lure, but I wouldn't bet any money on this interpretation. Perhaps some clarification from DLNR would be prudent prior to using it.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

medc808
bass level

Postby medc808 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:57 am

Hmmmmm :idea: so if you really wanted to use an A-rig, you could attach 1 lure or 2 flies and put decoys on the other arms and hope they go for the one with the hooks. This would still be within the law. :roll:

Live bait seems like a better choice.. :twisted:

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:41 pm

I think that would do it... the 4 around the edges with a twister tail, and the long one down the middle with the hook.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Struggles2Paddle
master baiter level

Postby Struggles2Paddle » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:35 pm

I have a 3 way rig. I think I would fan out the spreader and use a gold spoon without a hook in the middle and 2 flies on the outside
All day I dream about fishing

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:02 pm

A little late but you can also throw on some spinnerbait blades in place of lures with hooks....essentially making it a fancy spinnerbait :)

I've read a lot of people will do this to accommodate state laws.

Others will put 2 or 3 smaller baits (depending on their states laws) no hooks with the remaining spots rigged with larger baits near the bottom, most folks say they will almost always hit the larger baits and do not miss many fish because they struck the smaller baits.

Actually caught an A rig fish today (in Georgia so laws were violated). Haven't dedicated much time to throwing the A rig and have only caught 5 or so fish on it but man when they hit it.......they kill it!! Was throwing it on a 7.5ft heavy flipping stick and this little 1.5lb bass just about knocked the rod out of my hand! Looking forward to testing its performance when he fall weather officially kicks in and the bass are primarily feeding on shad in the creeks!
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Return to “General Discussion”