Live Bait

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

captmike
minnow level

Live Bait

Postby captmike » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:07 pm

Just wondering what kind of live bait everyone is using. Back home we used nightcrawlers. Any worms here?

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:19 pm

The live bait that people usually use on lake Wilson are baby tilapia, mosquito fish, which are kind of like mainland minnows, or worms. There are worms here but you have to dig for them. No going to Wally world's sporting good section to pull out a can of worms from the bait fridge! Hope this helps.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:21 am

The mendonka's (minnows) are plentiful in alot of the freshwater streams, which many are brackish. Sports Athority in Waikele sells monnow basket traps. In a pinch, just go to a pet shop and get a couple dozen comets.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

captmike
minnow level

Postby captmike » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:41 am

I have used the pet store comets. Worms are what I am looking for. My yard has been way to dry. I wonder if those worm compost places will sell me some.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:03 pm

People sell "composting" worms on Craigslist. Pretty pricey for bait use though.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Pegasus
King Sushi level

Postby Pegasus » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:43 pm

And most of the composting worms are so thin that they barely fit on a hook. The waikiki worm lady used to sell earthworms for 25 cents each, but she has closed her store on King street.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Those are a special kind of worm found mostly around horse stables... they are used in those kitchen compost things... yea, they are expensive... for regular worms just find a nice watered flower bed and start digging. LOL
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

captmike
minnow level

Postby captmike » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:10 pm

LOL not sure my neighbors would like that. Craigslist has some cheap ones near my house. I may try that. May have to put two or three on a hook though.

ynototony
bass level

Postby ynototony » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:01 pm

Buy a minnow trap.. stick a piece of bread in it .. go to your local canal and throw it in.. If you leave part of the trap out of the water in the shallows I've noticed that you catch more any there you go! Live bait is the way to go especially if your sight fishing. They cant resist and watching them grab it is soooo exciting. I use a black one.

blast from the past
bass level

worms

Postby blast from the past » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:32 am

The library will have books on how to farm (grow worms). You can order some to start with and start growing them in your compost box (you'll need to build a compost box). Then you can compost a small portion of your yard and transfer some into the dirt of your yard - they will begin to multiply (worms actually eat dirt). You can use old newspaper, if you can believe it; they will eat the newspaper. The composting stuff will need to be kept slightly damp. A good compost box is built with 2x12's: a rectangle is good = 12-footers on the long sides and 8-footers on the short sides. Make the box with two 2x12's tall (use 2x4 stakes). Fill it with your vegetable scraps, and yard clippings and yard-waste and old newspaper.

BillFHM3C
bass level

Postby BillFHM3C » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:03 pm

An easier way, than digging, to find worms is to wet the ground and throw down a few bread slices. Worms love bread and if there are any in the area they will surface and start munching. Usually within 15 minutes.

Or to keep them in the area, just clear a small patch of ground (usually under a shady tree), keep it moist and keep the bread partially buried. Only problem is birds, coons & rats love bread too! Hope this helps. Aloha!
The Worst Day Fishing beats the Best Day Working HANDS DOWN!!!

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:23 pm

We use to feed our worms cornmeal... just mix it into the soil a little.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Return to “General Discussion”