B.A.S.S. Ruling on multi-lure rigs

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

shanai
King Sushi level

B.A.S.S. Ruling on multi-lure rigs

Postby shanai » Wed May 30, 2012 9:10 am

Happened to see this article regarding the use of multi-lure rigs in B.A.S.S. tournaments and comments about the ruling by touring pros

http://basszone.com/featured-stories/m. ... -lure-rigs

:D steve

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed May 30, 2012 5:15 pm

I concur with KVD's opinion. 8)
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Joel
bass level

Postby Joel » Wed May 30, 2012 9:50 pm

You have to draw the line...its past that line IMO...I agree with the ban. This isn't offshore trolling, its bass fishing.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu May 31, 2012 3:41 pm

I've thrown one till I was blue in the face and never caught a fish. Not a bass, not a peacock bass, not a red devil or bluegill or catfish on one....

I put one of the lures I was using on the umbrella rig and cast it as a single lure and started catching. Switched back to the umbrella rig... same size, same color... and never got a strike. I have seen one fished and the largemouth bit it a few times. But in 3 full days of fishing he only caught a few singles (largemouth) and only ONE double.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:44 pm

I think the ban is ridiculous personally. It's just like any other lure, it will have a time and place where it will be the best thing to throw. It pretty much debuted last fall and was banned on the Elite Series prior to them kicking off with the classic in February. They should have AT LEAST gave it a full season, I guarantee those first few events they fished down south wouldn't have been won on an A Rig. First off they were fishing the spawn for the most part. Secondly, it's kinda hard to punch an rig through extremely thick grass matts and bull rushes (tules) or even fish it around grass or wood. Third I don't think the classic would have been won on it, being that it was a creature and tube presentation that won. I'm sure guys would have caught some fish on it but I doubt they would have been the fish to win. I've fished pretty much at least one tournament out here a month since I've moved from Hawaii, the A Rig has not won a single tournament I've fished in.

It's funny how people are so opposed to innovation and change....back in the day, the plastic worm was almost banned in the state of Alabama for being TOO EFFECTIVE!

I've fished the A Rig a decent amount. Ive experimented fishing it around multiple types of structure and conditions and it has some huge flaws. First flaw is there is no erratic action to it. If you try to add erratic action is usually ends with your baits getting fouled up. In my experience with it, it doesn't really trigger strikes from a fish that isn't already feeding. Now throw that thing into a school of fish that is already fired up and eating bait and they'll hammer it. Second flaw is, you can't really fish it through cover, it's more of an open water bait or a bait to fish when fish are holding a bit deeper on points and ledges. Usually for open water fishing there is a need for bait to be around. Not '"every idiot with an A Rig" is capable to go fish offshore using primarily their electronics and contour maps and catch fish. Fished against a guy who fishes the FLW college deal, he had just got back from Guntersville and said there was an "idiot with an A Rig" on every single bridge he past :) I keep saying and Idiot with an A Rig because most of the A Rig opposition I've read say that the A rig will catch fish no matter who is fishing with it because all you have to do is reel...um....I could go on for days about lures that all you have to do is reel to catch fish. I don't hear anyone talking about banning spinnerbaits and crankbaits because you can just cast them out and reel them in and catch fish...heck you can even do that with a plastic worm and catch some bass.

I'm thinking there are really going to be 2 times during the year that the A Rig will out preform other baits, one during the fall due to shad and other baitfish piling up in the backs of creeks, and two during periods where baitfish are spawning.

If they're going to start banning things why not ban the dropshot!? That's probably the most effective presentation ever thought of!

No here's a bit of my "conspiracy theory" about the A Rig. I think that BASS and most of their anglers have SOOO much money tied up in these lure manufactures that it was bad for their business. Do you think these companies want to have their anglers winning a tournament with lures they don't make or haven't perfected? I don't think they did. I know KVD has mentioned that Strike King will let him throw any lure he wants no matter who manufactures it, but I still don't think they want him to do that. Additionally, I think the ban was pushed because it made its debut on the FLW tour(which has really come along and has as many if not more good anglers than BASS). I think BASS wanted to make a statement, saying our anglers don't need to use A Rigs be cause they're better than the FLW or something along those lines. Just my opinion.

It may sound like I'm a huge supporter of the A Rig. With all the time I've spent throwing it I've only caught a few fish (probably due to operator error) but that is my point. Everybody was talking about how any idiot with a rod, reel and a A Rig could go out there and just slay em all day catch their 5 fish limit with 2 or 3 casts and bring 25 plus pounds to the scales everyday...which is clearly not the case. Look at the most recent FLW tour tournaments and what anglers are winning them on...not A Rigs. Just saying, probably and over reaction by BASS and it was definitely premature.
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:17 pm

So I started reading the thread after I made my post...and I swear on my fishing poles I had not read that prior to posting but I guess myself and Paul Elias think a like :)
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:48 pm

actually i think if you follow the money and the trend today of media driven frenzy on things i think you'll find the whole A rig pro and con controversy was a marketing strategy that did really really well. its been a long time since such hype was put on a single technique and personally after watching the footage of paul elias and others catching em on the rig i just can't see all the commotion. sure multiples happen but its a lot more uncommon than the media made it out to be and the damn thing can't be used but in certain circumstances. its not a end all fishing catching dynamo for sure. all the hype on one side about how great it is and on the other how evil it is just made a lot of people run out and by tons of the damn things and give dozen of manufactures a great marketing tool. hell even now as this slows the same group of idiots is trying to raise more fuss about long lining crankbaits. really? seems like the more they hype the controversy the more people run out to try it themselves and you have another trend.

Return to “General Discussion”