Captain's needed for possible WTB Team Tournament!!!

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:27 pm

A WTB(Warrior Transition Battalion) team tournament is in the works for the first Weekend in August. These are soldiers who are injured and are slowly transitioning into getting back to their line unit or out of the Army. I would like to host a WTB Team tournament, where a member of the HFFA or local fisherman that knows the lake and would like to participate, will team up with a soldier to fish the tournament. The entry fee will be $10 a person, with first, second, and third place teams taking home a plaque. 100% of the entry fees will be donated to the Hawaii Sportsman Hatchery to help improve OUR Lake Wilson. We're needing any Captain that would be willing to have one of these selfless soldiers ride aboard with you as a team member. Soldiers probably won't have the correct fishing set up of tackle, so tackle would also have to be borrowed. This is a great way to give back to these soldiers and our community. This is STILL IN THE WORKS and I should have a set day by the beginning of next month. Anyone wanting to participate please email your contact information to baires0925@yahoo.com. Please give your name, phone number, and number of soldiers that could fit on your boat. Even if you can only take 1 soldier, it still a great way to get them out on the lake. I probably have one of the smallest boats on the lake and I'll still be taking someone out. Anyone with any questions or concerns please feel free to let me know. This is Chris of the HFFA for anyone wanting to know who this is. This is going to be a blast!! Hope you will join us!! Thanks!! Also, BIG THANKS TO FILTHY FISHERMEN BAIT CO. for Donating the use of one of their boats already!!

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Tue May 08, 2012 10:48 pm

So far we have 5 confirmed boats! Big thanks to those stepping up to help! Also, we have made a change to the entry fee, it's now FREE!!! Still first, second, and third recieving plaques. Hope more of you will join this good cause!!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed May 09, 2012 9:35 am

I'm in, and not because of the waived entry fee. Sounds like a good cause.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:29 pm

Thanks!! I'll put you down for 1. We're up to 7 boats now. It is a good cause. Went by the other day and seen a lot of heads hanging low. It'll be good to get them doing something new. Thanks again for your participation!!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed May 09, 2012 3:07 pm

BBaires722,

Have you ever fished with the Paralyzed Veterans of America (PVA)? Same concept as what your're doing here. I might suggest looking them up and maybe even contacting them. They are affiliated with BASS and put on tournaments all over the US. It's a pretty neat deal! I fished with a paralyzed Marine who served in Vietnam. Maybe something to look into. They also have a facebook page. Probably would be something to do in the future.

Ive only fished one but i plan on serving as a boat captain for as many as i can now that I'm aware of the orginization. They had an air force unit from ft gordon help get all the fully paralyzed guys in the boats. Even had enough volunteers to back trailers down that way there wasnt a paralyzed member left in the boat at any time. The come to Clarks Hill annually and im going to try to get my navy unit inolved for the next one.

The way they did it was have a random draw, the first day was just for the paralyzed/disabled veteran the captain served as a guide. They could fish if they wanted that first day but their fish could not be weighed. They also were not allowed to assist the paralyzed vet in any way regarding catching/hooking fish. I ended up fishing without hooks for the most part. I planned not to fish at all but a front rolled in and messed up all my spots so i was trying to figure what the fish had done. The 2nd day the two anglers fished as a team.

All in all it was a pretty cool event!
Luck is when opportunity and skill meet.

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:52 pm

I'll keep them in mind for any future events like this. There is a company full of hurt soldiers that could really use an activity like this here on Schofield. I don't think anyone has ever approached them with an activity like this. It should be a good time for all. The more boaters we can get to participate the more soldiers we can take out. We are up to 9 boats now!! Big thanks to those that have emailed wanting to participate.

shanai
King Sushi level

Postby shanai » Wed May 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Chris,

Depending on what day you're thinking of having this tournament, there is a fishing group that fishes the first Sunday of each month. I don't have a contact number or name but maybe someone on the forum knows. If you're planning on Sunday, maybe that group might have people that might be interested in helping out.

:D steve

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Wed May 09, 2012 8:05 pm

I will have 3 boats ready for this tourney!! My rental, my current rig,, and a new pro team 175.. So I can take two, current rig can handle two, and rental can really handle two as well..... I went out today (5-9-21), with two big guys and fished pretty confrontable.. The guys were stoked.. Fishing is still a little tough but we managed around 6 fish. No LM's? So we need to find 2 drivers to take out 2-4 more soldiers. I might have a suggestion for one driver,, if this driver can get their real drivers lisense?? JK Marcus!! LOL!!!!!! But feel pretty confident in my protege to be able take someone out and put them on fish!! So,, looking good! As far as Helping out the Hatchery,, The RD Throw down at the end of This Month will go torward the Hatchery!! And future ones! Hopefully! So I am in for the great cause no matter with 3 boats! I will also have consulation prizes from FF Bait Co!

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:37 pm

@Steve, that would be great if someone had that contacts phone number. I still plan on hosting it that weekend regardless. @Filthy, thanks BIG contributions to this event!! Up to 11 boats now!! Thanks everyone!

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Mon May 14, 2012 1:12 pm

Quick up date: The process of the tournament is falling into place and we are now up to 12 boats, with room for 14+soldiers. I've been in contact with several local business' that are willing to help sponsor the event. Big thanks to those joining the event!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon May 14, 2012 5:17 pm

Glad to hear this! Good job organizing this event!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Thu May 17, 2012 4:33 pm

Update: I got the official call today from the WTB Major from Schofield Barracks and the tournament is a GO for August 5th, 2012 7-1pm! Let's show these soldiers a good time with Max participation! Anyone wanting to participate please let me know. Thanks!

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Thu May 24, 2012 4:32 pm

Update: So I'm proud to say that we have 2 sponsors so far for the event. Swada fishing supplies and clean sewer lines of wahiawa, both located on cane st, have decided to become sponsors for the event. Big thanks to both of them for their support.

Baires722
King Sushi level

Postby Baires722 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:48 pm

Update: So things are coming along nicely. This is going to be a HUGE event with 20+ boats taking part. Thats over 40 people participating.The IWFA(other local fishing club) will also be helping out with the event. Two great clubs coming together for one great cause! Anyone still interested please let me know. The deadline for the final count will be the end of June. Thanks again for all those participating!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:54 pm

Don't forget to put a little bug in the media's ear prior to this. :wink:

Return to “General Discussion”