Historic Photograph

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Historic Photograph

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:18 pm

I finally ate at Maui Mike's in Wahiawa today. They had several historical pics of Wahiawa Town including this pic dated 1906. Its Karsten Thot bridge , the steel bridge that crosses the north fork. The cement pilons just north of the bridge are all thats left of the tall cement scaffling you see in the background.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:50 pm

:D

Amazing... notice that there are no trees.
What was that where the pilings were? A bridge or pipeline or something?
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:38 am

I can't believe you are just now finding out about the my third favorite thing on Oahu that is Maui Mikes!!!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:42 pm

There was about 1/2 dozen business' there before Maui Mikes. I just never took the time to try it. It was GREAT. Hope you anglers support this small business sooner than I did!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:14 pm

:D
What and where is Maui Mike's?
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:12 pm

Its a small chicken restaurant on the corner of Kam Hwy./Olive Ave. across from McDonalds. Not really any parking so we parked at McD's and walked across the street to MMs. Great chicken!

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:26 pm

luv old pictures like that. interesting to finally know what those concrete footing are. i thought maybe a water trestle like the ones up by the ramp. i remember fishing under the trestle from the bank back in the day. i read a book that talked about the horrible devastation wrought by pineapple and sugarcane companies on the island. they clear cut everything, lumber to build and clear for ag land, all of the west side of the island and most of central oahu clear cut. everything flat enough to farm cane or pineapple on. to this day the west side only has forest on the steeper slopes of the mountains. wonder if it was greener and wetter out there before all the deforestation.pretty awesome feat though to build a train trestle like that, hell it took 8 yrs to build the bridge on the other side of wahiawa lol!!

Return to “General Discussion”