Rising Water - Good or Bad???

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Rising Water - Good or Bad???

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:59 am

:D
On Tues. we saw the water level rise a little over 4 feet. You could actually see the shoreline features submerge... just like seeing a rising tide in the ocean. (well, when you could see through the rain anyway)

The largemouth bass fishing was the best I've ever seen. I usually target peacock bass so that might not be saying a whole lot. :roll:

On the other hand, NO Peacock bass. Not one. It has been my experience that a fast rising water level turns off the peacock bass for a few days.
I've also heard that it turns the largemouth bass on. It was good largemouth bass fishing yesterday anyway.

So I'm wondering... how would you fish rising water conditions like we're seeing this week?
:shock: Don't worry the level only came up 4 feet... and it's not muddy.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:56 am

If I were fishing muddy waters, I'd bust out my lure of choice (spinnerbaits) in chartruese or black. Rattle Traps might get wet also. Bass like to explore newly flooded areas for food.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Re: Rising Water - Good or Bad???

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:14 am

On the other hand, NO Peacock bass. Not one. It has been my experience that a fast rising water level turns off the peacock bass for a few days.
I've also heard that it turns the largemouth bass on. It was good largemouth bass fishing yesterday anyway.

Stan, I have heard the same thing.

Crash
King Sushi level

Postby Crash » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:29 pm

Stained water = vibration and color (charteuse). Freshly flooded banks = more food for bass in the new hidey holes. I think the general rule on rising water is fish shallow.

Just my opinion....and speaking on the LMB only.

I wonder how the SMB react upstream to the rise in water level? Any thoughts on that?
Crash

blast from the past
bass level

Postby blast from the past » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:51 am

So true, Stan....Have you all ever wondered what it might be like if the reservoir was filled to an absolute maximum? Like, perhaps, practically up to the underside of the bridge? Here's another tantalizing Q: How high, at the most, did it ever actually GET? (Is there a way to find that out?).
What if it was left super high.....all the time? What would the fishing be like? For one thing, the lake and forks would have eighty-foot deep environments in several places. I have the hunch the populations of fish would skyrocket. Thanks Stan, for this fun and wonderful website.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:01 am

I've seen Mikimiki Flats when it was was actually the flats... covered with water. For about 5 years after the sugar plantations closed the water was always going over the spillway.... The deepest I've ever seen it going over the spillway was at a depth of 4 feet, but it didn't stay that high for very long.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:15 pm

I found at Wilson the largemouth move into the grass almost immediately when the water rises. The first week is the best, then the bite slows after that and is almost done after two weeks. I liked fishing frogs and flipping baits/jigs(with a rattle) in dark colors in the grass(try a glass bead and a brass weight if you aren't getting bit on softplastics). A chartreuse spinnerbait with gold blades is good too, I think hammered blades are also better in the muddy water. Have heard a black buzzbait can also be good in muddy water.

Return to “General Discussion”